Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Having trouble!! >

Having trouble!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Having trouble!!

Old 09-11-2002, 07:49 AM

Default Having trouble!!

I have been trying to tune my bow for the last couple of days and am having difficulty. I have paper tuned my bow and am shooting almost perfect bullet holes with fletched arrows. When I shoot from about 20 yds i have acceptable grooping, but when i go to 30 I am all over the place. even missed the target completely once. I shot a unfletched arrow through the paper and it tears differently every time i shoot it. I understand that i may not have the exact arrows for my bow, but because of limited finances i am unable to purchase the correct ones at this time.
How come i am shooting bullet holes through paper, but at thirty yards i can clearly see a little bit of bad arrow flight? And why should my unfletched arrows exit the bow so erratically?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:12 AM

Default RE: Having trouble!!

I am shooting a PSE preditor set at 70lbs. I'm using a truball strap release and shooting 28" easton 2315 with 125 grain tips. I know this is heavy, but would changing my tips help or do i need to stay with them? I also have a U at my nocking point should i get rid of it and just use the bow string to attach my release?
Old 09-11-2002, 08:20 AM

BO,

A few comments and questions:

First, you say that you are getting almost perfect bulletholes on the paper tuning!!! This is not unusual as some archers tune with a slight high tear slightly right or left depending on what hand they shoot with. Have you checked your paper tune at different ranges? Sometimes you can hit a null getting a good tear and have a false tune. Depending on your arrows spine you may not get the same tear as with the fletched arrow.

How good are your groups at 20 yds? I see a lot of archers shoot pretty well at 20 yds and then spreadout pretty quickly going to 30 or 40 yds. This is particularily true if you are trying to watch your arrows in flight. There is a saying in archery "If you want to see a bad shot look for it". Looking for the arrow causes you to fall out of the shot. Also the further you get out yardage wise the greater your form and holding errors are amplified on target. I did the triangulation that if you shot an outside "X" on a indoor target, you would be on the edge of the bullseye at 40 yds and out of the bullseye at 60 yds with the same shot. You must hold a lot tighter at longer ranges to be accurate. Your arrows should be recovered to straight flight before 20yds providing that you do not have severe spine problems. Even if the bow is not perfectly tuned it can be sighted in to shoot good groups at longer ranges. Spend more time on trying to really concentrate on the shot and holding tight, your groups will improve with practice.

Aim Hard!
Old 09-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing at all wrong with a 28" 2315 at 70 pounds. It's an 'A' stiffness on the charts all the way to a 5" overdraw.

I definitely agree with FLHunter about the possibility of a false tune. I don't know what cam system your bow has on it. PSE doesn't list a Predator model on their site (might be a proprietary name for some pro shop or mail order outlet), so I can't see it. Anyway, some bows can have a sweet spot close to the riser where an arrow will tune to bullet holes but be so far out of centershot that you can't get decent arrow flight or hit anything with it. With a stiff arrow, it's not too hard to get way over there.

Put an arrow on the string, hold the bow out in front of you like you're going to draw it. Eyeball the string to center in the cam groove, then look down the arrow. Is the tip of the arrow pretty much lined up with the string or is it way off toward the riser? If it's off toward the riser, move your rest to line up the tip and retune.

I'm not to hot on paper tuning anyway and really not to hot on paper tuning with a bare shaft. Have you shot the unfletched arrow at about 10 yards and just watched how it hits the target? What direction does the nock end wind up in relation to the point? Does that bare shaft group with your fletched arrows or is it well off to one side or the other?

If what I'm thinking has happened, I would expect the bare shaft to strike the target with a hard tail left angle, assuming you're a right handed shooter.