Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I think I'm in trouble >

I think I'm in trouble

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I think I'm in trouble

Old 02-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think I'm in trouble

I stopped by BPS yesterday to pick up some blazers just out of curiosity (haven't tried them yet), and the longbows and recurves caught my eye. I've always been curious and I had the guy string one of the inexpensive PSE longbows ($230) and finally gave it a try.

I don't know if I'm just lucky or this is something I'd be good at, but my groups wereactually good. I had to convice the guy that I hadn't shot a trad bow before. I hadn't, though, andthe string didn't even have a nock point on it. I was "eyeballing" it, as my dad would have called it.

Now I'm sold and I know I have to get one, but I didn't see anything there that really caught my eye there. Where's a good place to shop for a decent longbow or recurve?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I think I'm in trouble

If you want to try out a bunch of trad bows, I'd suggest getting to a shoot. Usually there will be a used bow vendor around.

Sounds like you have beenpartially bit by the trad bug.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even know of any shoots around these parts. I guess I could shop online, but I don't even know the namebrands of any decent trad bows. I peeked at ebay a few minutes ago and there's a Black Widow takedown with two sets of limbs, but that thing's gonna sell for some money! I think that's too much of a bow for a beginner anyway.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may want to try the United Bowhunters of Missouri Organization for trad events in MO. There is also the Tennessee Classic,May 2/3/4 2008 in Clarksville Tn. I'm sure there are others as well.

If you are going to go the internet route, my advice would be to start off with something like a Bear, Shakespear, Red Wing, Chek-Mate, or something similar. Get your feet a little wet, so you can decide exactly what you want. More then likely you will not know at first. I'd also say that you should stay in the 45 pound at your draw area. You will more then likely not be drawing the same as your compound (probably around 1-2" shorter).
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I first shot my Bear Montana at Cabela's as well as a Martin Savannah. The Montana was really a good fit for me and I went to my Archery Shop and pick up a 50# for pretty cheap, $240 out the door. I love this bow, I'm hooked as well, to much fun!!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

There's a few big shoots in the Southeast--Twin Oaks in TN, the Jerry Pierce Memorial in MS, the Ben Pearson in AR (compound and trad), the Howard Hill, Children's Hospital Benefit, and State Championship in AL, the "Real Thing" in LA......probably several others I can't name off the top of my head. All will have vendors with bows you can try out, plus most trad shooters will let you try their bow.

My advice: don't go too heavy (especially starting out), don't let someone else tell you what the "best" bow is for you, don't get caught up in advertising hype (there are some really nice bows that cost $1,000 and up, but you don't have to spend that much to get a really nice bow). This is one of the rare cases where you don't always get what you pay for, and choosing a bow is a very personal thing. One person may swear bythe same bow the next person swears at. Internet "experts" are a dime a dozen--there's lots of good info. to be garnered, but the trick is being able to tell the good from the bad. Just because someone has owned 900 different bows doesn't mean they know how to shoot any of them. Do your homework, but most of all have fun.

Good luck, and welcome to our addiction!

Chad
Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Looks like ya just missed the United Bowhunters of Missouri festival but it looks like another is coming up.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimateb...;f=94;t=000673
Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

if you buy a traditional bowhunter magazine there is a page or two in it that has trad. groups listed and contact info for them. there may be one close to you and if nothing else, you will have some great reading material.