Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Its finally coming together!! >

Its finally coming together!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Its finally coming together!!

Old 02-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Its finally coming together!!

I fully commited to learning how to shoot this back tension release, no matter how long it took. After 16 hours of shooting in the past 3 days, I woke up today eager to see if anything sunk in. I started at 7 yards, and actually shot with my eyes open at a bull. Great release. Same at 15, 20 and 25 yards. I didnt have a single misfire, and didnt cheat the release at all. I already find myself holding steadier. Now, onto the problem. It seems that every shot I shoot with the BT release goes left. Perfect height, but left. Is this normal? I may just leave it shooting left since its dead on with my hunting release. Then again, a new 3d and practice back tension sight may be on the horizon for me So I just want to give a thanks to everyone who offered advice, it is greatly appreciated
Old 02-19-2005, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Its finally coming together!!

I also noticed that I shoot a little left when I shoot with my back tension vs. my trigger. I believe that back tension is shooting pure and the trigger is shooting right. I bumped my sights to match my BT release and my trigger is about 6 in. right.

I'm thinking that the trigger causes me to pull my shots to the left, but I do so consistently.

Either way, I love the BT release and hopefully I build up enough confidence to use it hog hunting in April.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:41 PM

Have you considered the possibility that you were not taught how to use your trigger properly?

That's one thing most customers don't quite understand until shown proper form/execution.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered the possibility that you were not taught how to use your trigger properly?
Didnt have to think about it. Suffered through target panic for 3 years as a reminder that my trigger techniques sucked [:@]

Luckily I got some good advice at the Harrisburg show, and after shooting tonite, I found that I'm only off about 3" left when using backtension to get the trigger release to fire, as opposed to almost a foot when just "squeezing" the trigger.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Typical Buck

Josh, I can't remember what release you are using from your previous post, but I was wondering if your shooting it off of a D loop, or does the release have it's own loop that you wrap around the string? I learned that if I shoot a rope back tension, then pick up a wrist/caliper release, I don't hit in the same places. But, if I shoot both releases off a D loop, they hit pretty much in the same place. I target shoot and practice with a Scott longhorn, and hunt with a TruBall Pro Diamond hand held thumb trigger,(both off a D-loop) and they both hit so close I never move the sight. You may want to consider hunting with a hand held thumb trigger release, it will give you basically the same feel as your back tension in the hand, to me it's an easier transition when switching back and forth, plus you can carry them both in the woods being that they will shoot very close together. I made this move 2 seasons ago, and I must say, I will never hunt with a wrist strap/trigger release again.

Glad your getting onto the BT releases, be prepared for a whole new world of archery! You'll start to wonder how you ever hit anything without it!

Mikey
Old 02-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh, I can't remember what release you are using from your previous post, but I was wondering if your shooting it off of a D loop, or does the release have it's own loop that you wrap around the string?
I'm shooting a T.R.U. tension. I took the rope off, and am connecting the hook directly to my string loop.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:05 PM

Josh, my arrows impact different when I change releases also. I use a Carter and an
old BT Stansloski and there is a difference when using them.