Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help with speed

Old 02-18-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Help with speed

Whats ups, I have a question about my arrow speed. I have a parker phenoix 34 with a 28' draw. I am using a wisker busquit and cx terminator express arrows. The bow is set to 64 lb. My arrow speed was only 215, I thought it would be faster than that. It looks like the screws for the poundage is about at thier max but it should have 6 more lbs. I think thw wisker busiquit is slowing the arrows down too, anyone have any suggestions on a better setup? I hear a lot about fall aways or just regular prongs. Anyone prefer one or the other/ brand? I am new to compounds so i am just looking for some good advice. Thanks
Old 02-18-2005, 07:09 PM

Default RE: Help with speed

Well the rest you are using is going to slow it down. You do not mention arrow weight so I do not know if you are shooting a heavy arrow. 28" draw is going to slow it a little too. I do not know the IBO of the bow you are shooting but it may not be a fast bow to begin with. Having said all that. If you are using the bow for hunting it should not be a problem shooting that speed. You will be able to harvest big game just fine.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:15 PM

Oops forgot to add:
I have the HHA dropaway and I will not go back to a prong type rest. HHA has a lifetime warranty on its rests (actually I think it is on all of HHA products but I am not sure).
Old 02-19-2005, 06:14 AM

Realmfg,

The WB rest is unlikely to slow your arrows down more than an insignificant couple of fps. How heavy are your arrows with tips? I am unfamiliar with your bow, so maybe it's not designed to shoot a real fast arrow. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're shooting field tips in 3-D competitions. The are tons of great hunting set-ups shooting in the same range as yours. My own is only slightly faster, and I have a longer draw length.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:13 PM

Here is the specs on the bows speed AVERAGE ARROW SPEED - IBO - 310 fps AMO - 235 fps
Arrows cx terminator hunters 12.0 grains per inch 0.311" diameter ± .005" strightness
I have 100 grain field tips on them.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speed being a relative thing I can say this. If my calculations are correct your arrow should be right around 500gr. Yes, that is heavy by today's standards of achieving speed. You could easily drop 100 grain of arrow eight and gain about 20fps. And anything on the string slows the bow down also. Brass nocksets rob you of about 4fps each. A peep with a tube vs one without is about another 10fps. A kisser is another 5fps. String silencers, although necessary can vary speed depending on how close they are from the cams. Then the WB usually averages 5 to 7fps. How long is your center serving? I keep mine about 3 1/2" long vs the standard 7"--gain about another 3-4fps. Some of these might seem like much, but added together make a lot.

All these things adjusted down to get the best performance and you should not have much problem getting a realistic figure of 250-260fps. My SlayR set up at 27" and 53#, shooting 5gr/lb is doing 295fps. When I shoot a heavier arrow for a hunting setup it does right at 280fps. Amazing, isn't it?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:39 PM

I do have a peep sight with tube, kisser button, string leeches. My center serving is around the average 7. I guess my arrows are a little heavy.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:41 PM

what hunting arrows would you suggest? I got tehse cx terminator hunters because they were half off of 80$ Maybe i should scratch em.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

realmfg,

I'm going to make some suggestions that you may or may not follow. The choice is yours. I don't recommend things because I use them. In this case I don't shoot these arrows. I make the suggestions because I know what I'm doing.

Your quest for speed means one thing. Put your arrows in the box labeled- OOPs. You may use them later when you get a faster bow. I used the arrow calculator on www.bowjackson.com and then Gold Tip. Your Termiators should weigh right at 485gr. That's heavy. And your FOC comes to 7.3% which isn't good for a hunting arrow.

I suggest you get some Gold Tip XT 5575's w/4" feathers. With standard insert and 100gr heads they should weigh about 349gr and give you an FOC of 10.9%. Much better specs for hunting and target and still enough weight for deer. If you'd like you can still shave a little weight with lighter points such as 75gr, but that's the lower limit for warranty purposes.

The tradeoff is that your bow is going to be noisier. Bows produce a certain amount of energy. What doesn't go into launching the arrow stays in the bow as vibration which causes noise. Be ready to add Limb Savers and such to help with this. A good active stabilizer will help, too. This is all controllable.

OK, now how much speed is all this going to get you? By my calculations you should gain between 25 and 30fps just with the arrow change alone.

There is more you can do, too, that doesn't cost as much as arrows. Get a Fletcher True Peep with the big hole. Replace the peep and tube. Now getting the True Peep to rotate right takes some playing, but to get it facing straight back all you have to do is move some strands from side to side so it's rotated properly at full draw. THEN serve it in after you've shot it and settled things in.
Then once you've gotten used to the new peep then you can get rid of the kisser button. Kissers are an unecessary piece of added weight on the bowstring. But before you remove it understand this. You must have a pretty solid anchor, such as your index finger along the jawbone. Can you shoot with your nose on the string? This is a good indicator that you are anchored well. Think about it. Your finger(s) along the jawbone, your lips kissing the string, your nose touching the string, and a peep to look through. That's four reference points. Why do you need a kisser button?

Notice I said "Your lips kissing the string"? Most guys drag a kisser button back to the corner of their mouth and some even beyond. I ask, "Do you kiss you wife with the corner of your mouth"? Why do you think it's called a kisser button? Touch it to the front of your lips, in which case you don't need it for anything. LESSON TWO TOMORROW

Barry
Old 02-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I forgot to specify--------GT XT 5575 (BLACK). Camo looks cool. It costs more money, pulls harder from 3D targets, gets lost easier, weighs more than black, and I never saw a deer shy away from black.

Do you see my point? The only positive reason to use camo is to look cool.

Quick Reply: Help with speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.