HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help with speed
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 06:56 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with speed

realmfg,

I'm going to make some suggestions that you may or may not follow. The choice is yours. I don't recommend things because I use them. In this case I don't shoot these arrows. I make the suggestions because I know what I'm doing.

Your quest for speed means one thing. Put your arrows in the box labeled- OOPs. You may use them later when you get a faster bow. I used the arrow calculator on www.bowjackson.com and then Gold Tip. Your Termiators should weigh right at 485gr. That's heavy. And your FOC comes to 7.3% which isn't good for a hunting arrow.

I suggest you get some Gold Tip XT 5575's w/4" feathers. With standard insert and 100gr heads they should weigh about 349gr and give you an FOC of 10.9%. Much better specs for hunting and target and still enough weight for deer. If you'd like you can still shave a little weight with lighter points such as 75gr, but that's the lower limit for warranty purposes.

The tradeoff is that your bow is going to be noisier. Bows produce a certain amount of energy. What doesn't go into launching the arrow stays in the bow as vibration which causes noise. Be ready to add Limb Savers and such to help with this. A good active stabilizer will help, too. This is all controllable.

OK, now how much speed is all this going to get you? By my calculations you should gain between 25 and 30fps just with the arrow change alone.

There is more you can do, too, that doesn't cost as much as arrows. Get a Fletcher True Peep with the big hole. Replace the peep and tube. Now getting the True Peep to rotate right takes some playing, but to get it facing straight back all you have to do is move some strands from side to side so it's rotated properly at full draw. THEN serve it in after you've shot it and settled things in.
Then once you've gotten used to the new peep then you can get rid of the kisser button. Kissers are an unecessary piece of added weight on the bowstring. But before you remove it understand this. You must have a pretty solid anchor, such as your index finger along the jawbone. Can you shoot with your nose on the string? This is a good indicator that you are anchored well. Think about it. Your finger(s) along the jawbone, your lips kissing the string, your nose touching the string, and a peep to look through. That's four reference points. Why do you need a kisser button?

Notice I said "Your lips kissing the string"? Most guys drag a kisser button back to the corner of their mouth and some even beyond. I ask, "Do you kiss you wife with the corner of your mouth"? Why do you think it's called a kisser button? Touch it to the front of your lips, in which case you don't need it for anything. LESSON TWO TOMORROW

Barry