Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Presses for VFT limbs >

Presses for VFT limbs

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Presses for VFT limbs

Old 02-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Presses for VFT limbs

I did some searches on here, and it seems people like the WWAG press, as well as the more expensive Apple and Sure Loc. I also saw a few responses about people using the less costly Bowmaster portable.

Has anyone had any bad incidents with the bowmaster? Are there any negatives to this press other than the inconvenience of not having a full size press? I would like a press that I would throw in the archery tackle box that can go to shoots with me, but realistically it would probably be used 1-2 times a year at most. It is hard to justify $100-$400 for that much use. I picked up one of the bowmasters dirt cheap, however if this thing is dangerous to my bow I will probably put it up on Ebay and try something else. I do need somthing soon though because my new Vapor Trail VTX will be here day after tomorrow.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:42 PM

Default RE: Presses for VFT limbs

I was wondering if the WWAG press would work on the Allegiance. The lims are awfully parallel.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was wondering if the WWAG press would work on the Allegiance. The lims are awfully parallel.
Yes it does
Old 02-16-2005, 12:02 PM

I'm working on a prototype pro shop press now that will handle more than a 32 inch riser ,,,without touching the limb pockets, well maybe touching but no pressure This one will rival or surpass ANY press on the market for accuracy, durability, strength and ease of use,,, without cranking on anything In other words,, effortless bow pressing
But it won't be less that $100.00
Old 02-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

I'm working on a prototype pro shop press now that will handle more than a 32 inch riser ,,,without touching the limb pockets, well maybe touching but no pressure This one will rival or surpass ANY press on the market for accuracy, durability, strength and ease of use,,, without cranking on anything In other words,, effortless bow pressing
But it won't be less that $100.00
I gotta give it to you for coming up with your own product, and think your other press is great. Unfortunately, my spending is pretty much well over budget on this bow for now, so for one or two times a year pressing my bow the bowmaster will have to work for now. Next winter I will probably be buying a full size press and I hope to see more about your new one soon.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got my Allegiance yesterday and used my bowmaster to do the work on it. The main thing I stress to you is to take your time and make sure each end is squared and secure while pressing it. I didn't have a bit of trouble with mine.

When you think about it, its probably as safe as anything really. You are not putting abnormal stress on the limb, your simply pulling the limbs together like you were drawing the bow naturally.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:55 PM

Muzz, are you using the limb tip adapters for the split limbs or the pin through the limb fork?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:52 AM

russ, can't wait to see your shop model. i use your portable version all the time and will buy one as soon as they are out. john
Old 02-17-2005, 07:16 AM

ORIGINAL: zak123

Aussie already said it but just another confirmation that the bowmender press from WWAG works great on the Allegiance. I just bought one for my Allegiance and am very impressed with the simplicity and ease of use.

Just thought I would add that I myself would not use a portable press with a pin through the limb fork. I have one like that and used to use it on my old bow all the time. It eventually started to wear a small groove in the limb fork where the cable would touch. I kept using it on my old bow and the limb never did crack there but it bothered me enough that I was afraid to use it on my $700 Allegiance. The bowmender puts absolutely no stress on the limbs or riser.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blodg, just wondering. Did you use the leather strips that come with the Bowmaster in the limb grooves while pressing? I use a Bowmaster now, and though I am in the market for a full size, it will have to do for now. I use the heavy leather strips that come with it and there is absolutely no way it will touch the limbs this way.