Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 tuning gap question >

tuning gap question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning gap question

Old 02-14-2005, 07:14 AM

Default tuning gap question

i shoot a patriot and am not sure where the tuning gap is measured from and to, and i'd like to know for reference.

i ask because thru making my own string and cable i may have accidently stumbled upon my bow's sweet spot.

while making adjustments to my string and cable i made i'm about 1/64th long in ata and a little less than 16th short in brace height. my cam is slightly under-rotated. i realize i could fix this and i know how to do it, but when i went outside to shoot a dozen arrows to settle in my adjustment (string and cable have both been shot in) i could not believe how quiet the bow performed and how incredibly well the arrows flew. considering the 30 yd shot it seemed very forgiving rt to left. i also set my nocking pt almost 1/8" high before shooting after each adjustment so i don't think that's it.

i've noticed that all patriots don't have the cam marks in exactly the same place and have wondered if the marks are just drawn on after the string is installed. i've seen what i believe to be a 2-3 twist difference in the cable as far as where factory marks were on the cam when looking at brand new bows.

this is why i want to know how to take a tuning gap measurement as shown in the owner's manual, but can't figure out what the picture is pointing to exactly. i'm wondering if i found that true tune by accident.
regardless the slight under-rotation does not seem to be causing any issues, except positive ones, on the string or cable and unless it drives me crazy i'm going to leave it for now. but i sure would like to put the bow in exact spec's with the exact tuning gap and shoot it like that to see. it is the offseason and a good time for me to learn this type of thing. thanks for any help. gibbs
Old 02-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tuning gap question

Great question.
I asked that same one a while back and can't recall the answer I recieved.
Is it the middle of the screw to the limb bolt? close side? far side??

I also noticed a sweet spot on my mighty-mite when tweaking with it. I'd get a good 2 fps gain if the timing marks on the cam were just a little off than perfectly between the lines(when comparing to the limbs).

I will write down the answer this time.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a copy of my reply to your e-mail.

The 0.305 is measured from the edge of the module screw hole nearest the edge of the limb, to the edge of the limb.

Regards, Pat
Old 02-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh crap, let me go get my feeler gauge!

Thanks.

Gibblet, let us know if your sweet spot matches up to the .305 #.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Dave C,let us know what yours is on the MM too. thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 08:16 PM

well, i built another cable since this morning, you know, trying to perfect the stringonometry. but it was nice while it lasted. i added 2 strands and it wound up short of perfect. i didnt compensate length for the extra that would be used wrapping the strands with 2 extra. its a pretty exacting thing to master. when i put my old (3 day) cable back on, things changed. it's weird like that. thanks for answer pat, it's greatly appreciated.

davec, will you remember for next time i ask?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

NC, I sold My Mighty-mite last year. If I remember correctly the cam was slightly rotated forward where the inside line was being covered by the limb some.

Gibblet, Remember what???

Oh ya! closest edge to it. Got it.

When I get my regular rockers installed on my PAT I will begin the tweaking process and try to put this info to use. As my bow sits now the arrows are flat out SLAMMING the trophy ridge drop away bar. I didn't even want to mess with it. I just stuck it in the case with it's new limbs and LARGE rockers and went home[&o]. I'm loosing my will to fight.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good info guys, I have one of the new Vapor Trail VTX strings + cable in the mail right now that I will be putting on this upcoming weekend. I was actually going to post this same question myself today.

Edit - DaveC, you have PM.