Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 HELP! WHAT DO I DO >

HELP! WHAT DO I DO

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HELP! WHAT DO I DO

Old 02-15-2005, 09:50 AM

Default HELP! WHAT DO I DO

Being new to bowhunting, I am uncomfortable trying to tune my bow because I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Well, I talked with a guy who tunes bows, & I have heard ALOT of very good things about this man and his work. I called him & ask him about tuneing my bow for me. He said he'd be glad to it & give me some other information about how he tunes bows. But during our conversation he asked me what type of rest I use & I told him I use a wisker biscuit. He then stated, in a friendly joking way, that the first thing he was going to do was try to talk me out of useing it & switching to a drop away rest. Now I have read all the forums and tests about the biscuit & I have had no problems with mine. But he told me that with the biscuit on there that he could tune my bow but that it would not be tuned as precise as compared to one that had a drop away rest. He claims he can tune a bow to where the arrow will leave the bow straighter if it has a drop away rest on it than compared to a biscuit. I dont know what to do. I kinda feel like he is just trying to make a $, & maybe he feels like he can pull one on me, since I'm new to all this. But on the other hand, I've heard so many good things about him and his work. What he is basiclly telling me is that he will tune my bow for me but that if it has a biscuit on it, it will not perform as good as compared to a drop away rest. I just dont know what to do.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP! WHAT DO I DO

The Whisker Biscuit is a good hunting rest. The main thing it's intended to do is prevent your arrow from falling off the rest. It's also very quiet. It's been known to happen that when drawing back, the arrow may fall off the rest. Not possible with yours. A drop away can be more precisely tuned, IMO. But I don't feel the WB will be a hindrance to you. The WB relies on full contact when shot. So you may impart more error into arrow flight, when compared to a drop away but, I see no reason to replace your WB if you're happy with it.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP! WHAT DO I DO

Keep the rest you like.

Save the bucks and do it yourself.
Download a tuning guide from Easton... Easton Downloads

It's really not that bad.
Even if you don't get into bare shaft tuning and all that, a basic paper tune, and recheck with broadheads will work fine for hunting.