Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning Question

Old 02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tuning Question

I shoot a Reflex Excursion, 30" draw, #60, and I'm shooting Gold Tip XT's 5575 with a 100 gr tip

I tried getting my top pin on, but at 20 yards Im still 4" high. I have my top pin moved all the way up, and I also have my sight itself moved up as high as it can go.

I don't really know what to do with it. Would it be my peep? It seems to be perfect.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 PM

Default RE: Tuning Question

what about moving your site closer to the bow???
on my bow i can move my sight at 3 differnt locations. close to my bow and 2 more that makes my site further from my bow.
thats the best i can do to expain it.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Hoyt

what about moving your site closer to the bow???
on my bow i can move my sight at 3 differnt locations. close to my bow and 2 more that makes my site further from my bow.
thats the best i can do to expain it.
Well, my sight is as close as it can come to the bow, but what if I moved it like one more hole away from the bow, and just dropped my pinsreal low?
Old 02-10-2008, 01:17 PM

if your bowseason is over, i do what ever it takes to make you feel confident in your shooting.

i was in the same boat your in a few years ago, but i only use 1 pin.

i got a bad memory so i dont remember how it affected my arrow path when i was tuning my bow, the only thing i remember was it took me a good day to get my site perfect and all i know is follow the arrow with your pin.

maybe go one hole further, but dont move your pins. see what that does. now im wishin i woulda wrote everything down on my experince with tuning my bow.
good luck on it.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 PM

Reflex Excursion is a really nice bow. Is your arrow rest mounted so the arrow is even with the middle of the Berger hole?

Might also be the peep in relation to your anchor point. If you have a really low anchor, the peep is going to be higher - relative to the nocking point - and required a higher sight to get zeroed. For me, the distance from the center of the arrow shaft to the center of my peep at full draw is about 3.25".
Old 02-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

A picture would be really nice, but I'm going to bet your shooting form is the main fault here. Your pin is up and your sight is up. That usually means that your anchor is too low and the string peep and/or kisser button is too high above the nocking point.

Take this as a suggestion, but you probably need to lower the string peep and kisser (if you use one). How much? Whatever it takes. It's dependent on the angle of the string and other factors.

To accomplish this and maintain string contact references (touching nose?) you may have to shorten the draw length of the bow accordingly. This is usually the thing most guys don't want to do because they are either hard headed or don't want to give up any speed. Regardless you do what you have to do to make things fit. That's why most bows are adjustable in the first place.

Again, ths is only an educated guess as to the problem. Without a picture I can't confirm it.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Ill take a pic or a video tonight and post it- I anchor with my nose on the string, with a kisser in the corner of my mouth, and then with my knuckle under my ear.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

It might also just be a setup problem,as Roskoe stated,if the arrow is too high or the arrow is pointed up,this could causee your problem.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: englum_06

Ill take a pic or a video tonight and post it- I anchor with my nose on the string, with a kisser in the corner of my mouth, and then with my knuckle under my ear.
What kind of site is it???? Tru-glo, Cobra, Spot Hogg, ?????

Also, as others have said, make sure you're nock point is correct, that can make for some disastrous tuning challenges, as I learned a several years ago (part of my reasoning fornot particularly caring for paper tuning).

Good Luck!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Alright, let's see what ya think. I'm working with a timer so it's tough to get it down in time!

Quick Reply: Tuning Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.