Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question about cam lean. >

Question about cam lean.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about cam lean.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about cam lean.

I know that if you have idler wheel lean you can twist the yolk cables. How do people fix it if their actual cam is leaning?
Old 02-13-2005, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Question about cam lean.

Sometimes there is no "fixing" the lean on a certain bow if the cam bushings or bearings are not worn. You can also try shimming the cam over within the limits of the limb forks and even change the amount of cable guard rod offset to lessen the guard rod torque.
By the way, I'l be shipping your bow press tomorrow morning
Old 02-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idler wheel lean is normal in some bows. Make sure you know what the bow is supposed to be at. For example. When adjusting the lean on a Legacy mathews suggests that the string is parellel the outside left edge of the wheel as you look at it from behind in the resting position. However on the LX the outside left edge of the wheel should bisect the string 4.5 to 5 inches down the string in the resting position. I found out the hard way when I shot the LX because I was wearing servings out fast. I went through a winners choice string in 2 weeks. OUCH!!!!. On the LX the string will actually be coming straight off the idler wheel at the full draw position with it bisecting in the resting position. To check the lean correctly the bow must be at full draw. About the only way to get a good check on it would be by using a device such as the hooter shooter. I don't know what bow you have but I am sure that all of the bow companies have heard questions such as these. I would not make any adjustments until I found out what the bow specs are. Some bows allow for some limb twisting.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nuge, the thing is that YOU don't fix it. You should not have to. Now that you are aware of the problem then you know to check out a bow before you lay your money on the counter. You check the actual bow you are interested in buying. It's your money and you should demand the best for it. And don't trust somebody in a shop to do it for you.

As mentioned you can twist up one side of a yoke to align an idler wheel but for the cam you are pretty much stuck with what you got.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cam lean is normally due to a bushing going bad or the hole in the cam was drilled wrong to begin with a bad bushing can be fixed, poor workmanship cannot.