Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cam lean?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Default cam lean?

What is cam leanand how is it caused. Arevarious camsystems effected more than others?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 AM

Default RE: cam lean?

Cam Lean is just what it sounds like...your cam actually leans to one side or the other at full draw. It can be caused by improper cable or yoke adjustment, a weak cable or yoke, or a worn cam/cam bearing or axle. It can also be from a weak limb. Most often it is too much tension on one side of a cable or yoke that is actually causing the limb to twist.

Given the why you can see it would be more likely to occur on a twin cam system. Also the larger and more agressive the cam the more likely to get lean.

Single cams are not immune to the issue but it isn't found as often.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dryridge

Cam Lean is just what it sounds like...your cam actually leans to one side or the other at full draw. It can be caused by improper cable or yoke adjustment, a weak cable or yoke, or a worn cam/cam bearing or axle. It can also be from a weak limb. Most often it is too much tension on one side of a cable or yoke that is actually causing the limb to twist.

Given the why you can see it would be more likely to occur on a twin cam system. Also the larger and more agressive the cam the more likely to get lean.

Single cams are not immune to the issue but it isn't found as often.
It is most common in short a-a bows andalot of1 cams have lean in bottom cam and it can't be fixed,however,lean in the idler iseasily fixed (just twist the yoke)but in some 1 cams and binaries,there is supposed to be a little lean(atleast the manufactuers claim there is).There is nothing that can be done to a binary if it has lean other than replace bushings,limbs or some other major fix.

Even if 2 cams have more cases of cam lean,which I doubt,it is EASILY fixed with a twist in the yoke.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 PM

So from what I understand:

Single cams = able to adjust idler lean by yoke, but no adjustment for bottom cam lean.

Binary cams = no adjustments on either top or bottom cam without replacing parts

**So question is, what about the Hoyt cam 1/2 system. I know the top is adjustable by adjusting the top yoke, but what about the bottom cam? Is there adjustments for cam lean on thebottom cams for Hoyt bows?**

I was just curious which cam system has the most adjustability for cam lean?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

The cam 1/2 is like a 1 cam and has no adjustment for the bottom and a 2 cam has the most adjustment for lean.

A longer a-a bow usually has less need for this adjustment and a shoot through system has the least amount of need for it.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: western outdoors

So from what I understand:

Single cams = able to adjust idler lean by yoke, but no adjustment for bottom cam lean.

Binary cams = no adjustments on either top or bottom cam without replacing parts

**So question is, what about the Hoyt cam 1/2 system. I know the top is adjustable by adjusting the top yoke, but what about the bottom cam? Is there adjustments for cam lean on thebottom cams for Hoyt bows?**

I was just curious which cam system has the most adjustability for cam lean?

Actually, the most adjustable of the different cam systems is dual cams. It's mainly because there is a cable yoke at both limb tips.

You asked about the Hoyt bows with cam+1/2. You have to be careful about this. The only problem with this is that Hoyt uses a floating yoke system for their cables. If you have any lean you can twist up one side of the yoke, but because it floats it will go back to the original position after just one shot. Those who really delve into this usually will replace the whole cable/yoke system with one with a static yoke.

Probably the nicest system going for adjusting for cam lean is the Martin Nitrous X and Furious X cams. This entails four cables, two on each side of the limb. An added advantage of this system is that the cams are located in the exact center of the limbs so everything tracks right down the middle. It also elimnates the cable guard which is thre main culprit for creating the limb twist in the first place.

The biggest problem with the X system is that people who haven't shot it are intimidated by it, thinking they will cut their cables with a broadhead when in reality the arrow is nocked from the front. You back the arrow into the string, which is very easy once you do it a few times. Like anything else new, once you learn it it becomes second nature.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

You asked about the Hoyt bows with cam+1/2. You have to be careful about this. The only problem with this is that Hoyt uses a floating yoke system for their cables. If you have any lean you can twist up one side of the yoke, but because it floats it will go back to the original position after just one shot. Those who really delve into this usually will replace the whole cable/yoke system with one with a static yoke.

Good call,should have mentioned it,I really didn't think about it because I remove the floating yoke and replace it with a static one.

I have served the floating yoke and had good results with it staying .