Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Draw length on bows >

Draw length on bows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length on bows

Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Draw length on bows

I have a bow that is 28-30" draw lenght. If I were to put a shorter string on the bow would that shorten the draw lenght to 27 if I needed it at that?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Draw length on bows

In short no you would have to get another cam the reason is that if you shorten the string you will be changing the bow specs ATA and brace height not to mention that you would also be putting more prestress on the limbs and the poundage would be greater.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:27 PM

That will change all the bows specs not to mention probably void any warranty
Old 02-08-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are wrong. Short stringing a bow will definitely make the drawlength shorter. And the poundage will go down, not up. Yes it does change the specs of the bow, but so what? I don't think I've ever had a bow come out of the box with the exact specs advertised. And I know the reasons why.

Mic, what kind of bow is it anyway? If you need to shorten the bow an inch to make it shootable for you then I'd just do it. Maybe you can't afford to buy another cam and rigging, or a new bow. It's really not going to hurt anything. You will most likely drop between 5 and 10# of peak weight.

I work in a shop where we give total service. There have been times when, due to economics or whatever, I've taken old bows and short-strung them as much as 2" to make them fit a youngster or someone who just doesn't have money to do better. Yeh, it's not the best solution, but it works well enough for the guy forking over the money.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Short stringing a bow will definitely make the drawlength shorter. And the poundage will go down, not up.
Absolutely correct!
Old 02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shortstringing , works well on a 2 cam bow , for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an inch , other than that and your messing with specs that realy do have something to do with the preformance of the bow . It may allso be dangerous to prestress the limbs . Shoot them the way they were designed to be shot . Limb failer can be very harmfull , either to the shooter or bystanders .