Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 ( MAKING ARROWS & NEED ADVICE ) >

( MAKING ARROWS & NEED ADVICE )

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

( MAKING ARROWS & NEED ADVICE )

Old 01-27-2005, 04:55 PM

Default ( MAKING ARROWS & NEED ADVICE )

I would like to begin making my own arrows. However, I have never done it before and there appears to be alot of things to consider. Though I will need to purchase an arrow saw, the process of cutting the shafts to length appears to be a no brainer. Fletching on the other hand seems to be much more involved. When I started looking at the different fletching jigs, I realized there are several options. Though many jigs are adjustable for straight, right helical and left helical, I am not sure which I should use and what are the differences regarding advantages and/or disavantages of each? I also noticed that some have the ability to offset any where from 2 degrees - 11 degrees. Furthermore, some can three fletch 120 degrees, four fletch 90 degrees or four fletch 75 degrees x 105 degrees. Here again, I am not sure what I should be using, what the differences are between them and there effects on arrow flight? What type and/or model of fletching jig should I be looking for? Do I also need a nock alignment tool as well? I need A quick crash course in arrow construction 101!

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments or advice?

PS: Currently Shooting Beman ICS Hunter 400 @ 28" With Three Feathers
Arrows Primarily Used For Hunting But Thingking About 3-D Shooting

Thanks Again, Ron
Old 01-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Default RE: ( MAKING ARROWS & NEED ADVICE )

A few pointers;
-Be very careful not to inhale the dust when cutting carbon arrows!! It is very bad for you as it can lodge in your lungs.
-I use a Arizona easy fletch right helical. The fletcher does all 3 fletches at once and is pretty much idiot proof. Helical fletching spins the arrow sooner after the shot.
-As far as glues goes, I don't like the gel types. It seems to glob up when I apply it on the fletching.
-I like using wraps because they make removing the fletching easier when replacing. IMO

I really enjoy fletching my own arrows and suggest you try it out for yourself!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:29 PM

Also make sure you wear a pair of safety glasses when cutting arrows.

Arizona EZ fletcher in a right helical all the way it is the easiest and quickest.

As for glue i just you fletch tite. It says not to use it on carbons but i do and have never had a problem.

These are just some of my suggestions.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:54 AM

Thanks For Your Help! Does it matter if you use right helical or left helical? How about the different angles? Does anyone know about a wed site that might help explain these differences? Thanks Again, Ron
Old 01-28-2005, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd suggest the Bitz jig. It an do everything you need to do. You'll probably have to get a few different clamps and nocks for it though.

As far a helical/offsets/ and straight are concerned:

If I am fletching using feathers, I normally use a helical. It doesn't matter if you use right or left on a compound. Some say if you use right it will tighten the point on impact. I use a left, and never had problems.

If I am using vanes, which is what I use for my compound, I use an offset. I don't like to use helical on vanes because of the vanes memory. They become difficult if you do not allow the glue to dry enough before removing the clamp.Some people like helical on vanes though. I nver use a straight fletch, because if I am shooting my compound I am using fixed broadheads. You will get a little stability on the arrow if you use an offset, you will get the most stability if you use a helical. But remember that the more drag that you create on the back of the arrow, the slower your arrow speed will be.

How much offset or helical: That will depend on your arrow rest especially if you use a prong style. You have to make sure that you have clearance. I believe that there is a point where you can have too much helical also. I believe that if you look down the arrow from behind, the fletchings should not overlap each other.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:59 AM

I have heard alot good things about Bitz jigs. I was looking at them and noticed that it comes with several nock receiver options. It comes with a standard three fletch at 120 degrees but you can also purhcase what they call a TM three fletch at 120 degrees with cock feather down. What is the difference and are they necessary? I use super nocks and do not glue them to my ICS shafts. Therefore, I can turn and adjust them so I can put cock feather down if I like. Besides, I have a drop zone rest and clearance should not factor. I don't need a cock feather. Am I correct or way off base? Thanks Again.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chaoctaw, I would suggest a Bitzenber jig with the standard 120 degree receiver. There is a notch on the receiver head to use as reference for the cock feather. I mark my arrows before jigging so specific lettering on the arrow is at the same point when I set the arrow in the jig. Should there be any difference in weight of each shaft they will all be the same when fletched. I shoot 3-4" left wing feathers with 3/32 right helical. Through years of experiment this seems to give me the best spin with the least amount of drag.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:45 AM

I Heard The If You Fletch Right Helical You Should Use Right Wing And Vice Versa. This Is Not Coreect? How Can You Tell By Looking At Your Arrow If You Have Right Or Left Wings?
Old 01-31-2005, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use super nocks and do not glue them to my ICS shafts. Therefore, I can turn and adjust them so I can put cock feather down if I like.
Yes you are correct.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I throw in another vote for the Bitzenberger jig. Check your post on the bowhunting forum for some others answers.