Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Making My Own Arrows >

Making My Own Arrows

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Making My Own Arrows

Old 12-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Making My Own Arrows

I have decided that I am going to make my own arrows for next year. I was just wondering where I can get bare shafts from and about how much I can expect to spend.
I shoot a 29" Draw Length set at 70 pounds. I want to get the most speed out of it this year that I can. I think I am going to go with quick spins or blazers and get the trophy ridge drop away rest. I haven't decided on wraps or anything like that yet.Also I think I am going to try to find some type of expandable to shoot if I go with the quickspins since I have heard that they broadhead may make noise from the fast spinning?
Thanks for any help and sorry if the post was kinda rambling but I gotta get goin to the gym. Thanks everybody
Old 12-23-2006, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Making My Own Arrows

Being from fargo I would think mail order would be very preferable.There are many good places and a few I steer clear of from my own personal dealings with them as well as what others have experienced. I like Keystone country store. Shafts should be between 75-100 dollars.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:41 PM

If you want max speed QS are not the vane you want Blazers are a lot lighter then the QS . lancaster archery is were i get all my stuff !
Old 12-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah Fargo doesn't have a whole lot for selection .
I was thinking blazers, but then I was just thinking of how fast quick spinds stabalize and was wondering if that would really play that important of a role? I really want to be able to make long shots, I probably wouldn't even have the oppourtunity for one in my typical hunting situations. But for me it would just add that much confidence knowing that I can easily hit my block at 50 yards, and I have a deer standing 20 yards away from me. Pretty much doing it for confidence and something to pass the time. And knowing that all of my arrows are the exact same. Thearrows I have this year seem like there are some inconsistencies in them. I just want to get into the technical part of it a whole lot more. I want to be able to do my own maintenance and all that good stuff. Don't know why the bug hit me, since the season is coming to a close I don't know how else I am going to get my hunting fix until spring hits. Have a Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:26 PM

Now's the time to do it! Get a fletching jig, arrow saw and string server and you've got a lot covered Read up on the use of these tools and you'll be more confident next year.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cabela's sells an arrow cutoff saw with a built-in on/off switch (an upgraded luxury on Apple's saws) and a built-in arrow spinner to check straightness for $99... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat20067_TGP&id=0039351417587a&navCount=2& amp;podId=0039351&parentId=cat20067&master pathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QT& rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20067&amp ;hasJS=true

Don't scrimp on the jig; get a Bitz and it'll last you the rest of your life. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0004548&navCount=5&parentId =cat20063&masterpathid=&navAction=push&amp ;cmCat=null&parentType=index&indexId=cat20 063&rid=
Old 12-23-2006, 09:51 PM

I bought my Bitzenberger fletching jig in 1975.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:42 AM

Another tool you might want to consider if making your own arrows is the G5 A.S.D. (arrow squaring device). I have found this tool to be invaluable, especially if shooting fixed blade BH.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

I was planning on going with the bitzenberger. I just read the article in Pertersons Bowhunting on making arrows and all the different selections and tha was the one thing they said to invest your money in for sure.