Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow flight

Old 09-05-2002, 06:20 PM

Default arrow flight

I have been bowhunting for 4 years and practice often but I am still not good at estimating range in the field. I do mark 20 yard spots around my stand but I still want to do more. Unfortunately I can't afford a rangefinder right now to help. My current setup is a High Country ultraforce, it's set as high as possible but only gets about 62-65 pounds. I am using Easton 2514 XX75 superlights with 100 grain muzzy's. The arrows group great but drop 1 foot between 20 to 30 yards and 30 yards to forty yards. I use to shoot the Beman 50/70's and they hardly dropped at all out to 30 yards but they flew terrible. I have a set of carbon Vapor's by Blackhawk, 4000 ACA. They are lighter but I never could get them to fly well or group as tight as the XX75's. I finally found a great bowshop and he has helped me tremendously , but, he hates carbons so he always convinces me to shoot aluminum's. I have killed two deer, one with carbon and one with aluminum and had the same penitration. What do I need to do to get the Carbon Vapor's to fly well? My goal is a very flat shooting arrow to help with my poor distance calculations. I'm assuming this means I need a light arrow. Thank you very much for any advise!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2002, 05:02 AM

Default RE: arrow flight

I forgot to ask another important question. I just had my string replaced and the limb bolts are bottomed out but the bow only hits about 62 pounds when it's advertized at 70 pounds max. I am not sure but the string may have been a 1/4 longer but the shop owner twisted it to shorten it. The bow is 4 years old, why would this happen? Would this decrease make my arrows drop this much? I would love to ask the shop owner all these questions but I don't want to wear out my welcome, he has helped me so much already.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:21 AM

Default RE: arrow flight

How's your draw length? You can twist the cable to give more draw weight, and draw length. This may give you back the draw weight you had before the string change. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown