Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 paper tuning tail high and left.....good >

paper tuning tail high and left.....good

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

paper tuning tail high and left.....good

Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 AM

Default paper tuning tail high and left.....good

Why do some people say that a slight tail high and to the left tear is optimal for a right handed archer. Why would you want this and not a perfect bullet hole.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:54 AM

Default RE: paper tuning tail high and left.....good

Does it have to do with traditional archery/finger shooters??? I'm a bullet hole guy.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason many will settle for this is that they know that their arrow is lifting up and away from the bow/rest to give decent fletching clearance. And we're not talking about a lot of "high/left". Mabe 1/4" to 1/2" at 4' through paper. Now, if you're shooting a drop-awy rest I'd work my butt off for the bullet hole.

Of course, I don't paper tune anyway. I prefer bare-shaft tuning out to 35 yards.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

I agree w/ bluefeather. If you are going to paper tune you should have a bullet hole. Especcially with the new drop away style rest. The bullet hole does not lie.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with BGfisher. Bare shaft tuning is more reliable tuning method. Paper tuning is fine for finding center shot but fine tuning is more precise with the bare shaft method. The 1/4" high left when paper tuning is for a right hand fingers shooter. This is a good start for to find center shot. Then bare tune the shaft to fine tune.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:17 AM

Many target archers prefer a slight tear because it forces the fletchings to stabilize the arrow faster. Paper tuning is only the first and most basic step in tuning, not the end. Most target shooters have found that even if they tune for a bullet hole, after they are done fine tuning thier set up for the best possible groups they can get they will get a slight tear if they go back and paper tune again. So it's easier to just start with that to begin with. And pulling your hair out trying to get bullet hole when you are just going to make slight adjustments later any way doesn't make much sense.

I would suggest if you are going to shoot fixed blades going for a bullet hole is not a bad idea, but if you can't get it I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would be more concerned with having all the arrows getting a consistant tear from shot to shot. This will let you know you have good grip, form and no fletch contact.

Getting your fixed blades to shoot with your field points has more to do with your spine relationship and form then it does your rest setting. I can get bullet holes with 1816's in my bowtech set at 60 lbs. These are extremely underspined, but I can stell tune them with feathers and target points. I would hate to see what would happen if I put a fixed blade on them or if I took the fletchings off.

Paul
Old 01-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot express enough that paper testing is for no other reason to see how strait the rest is aligned with the center and nocking point of the string.

If an arrow is making a perfect bullet hole from 6 feet away from the paper this indicates thearrow is coming off the string as strait as possible this also incicates that the rest is properly aligned with the string and nocking point .
a good bullet hole also indicates the arrow is properly spined arrow for the draw weight of the bow.

If you are getting tail right and high is either indicating to me that
1. could be the rest is out of alignment
2. could be the arrow is underspimned for the bow
3.could be the shooter is shooting fingers and a high tear is common with finger shooters.

now concerning bare shaft I have yet to be able to get the desired results by bare shaft tuning itf the arrow is punching through the paper properly