Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need alot of help with my bow setup. >

Need alot of help with my bow setup.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need alot of help with my bow setup.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Need alot of help with my bow setup.

Hi, im new to bow hunting. I have shot bows through scouts before but I don't have a clue on the products. I have reacently purched a PSE nova with a 29" draw set at 50lbs. I need arrows and a stablizer now.

I would like to know what the difference is in arrows. I have looked around a little bit and got kinda confused on the difference in them. I would like to know what kind of arrows would fit my bow.

I will be mostly hunting black bears over bait and white-tail deer in eastern maine whare there is mostly thick cover and a long rifle shot avarages around 100yrds unless your in a field. So most of my shots will be withen 20-25 yards.

I would like to know the difference in preformance between alunnium and carbon.

I would also appreaciate any advice on a stablizer. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:57 PM

Default RE: Need alot of help with my bow setup.

i am in the same situation as you.. i am new to bowhunting and i bought a pse nova.

i took it to the shop and had it set up. also, they sold me some carbon express terminator selects 6075 arrows. i also have some aluminum easton xx75. both arrows shoot good. i seem to group better with the eastons.

with all the arrow types, brands, sizes, weights,ect.. it does get confusing. i think that CX makes two different sizes of terminator selects.. 4560 is for less than 60lb draw and the 6075 is for over 60lb draw.

i am sure that you will get a lot more and better info from some more knowledgeable members.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to know what the difference is in arrows. I have looked around a little bit and got kinda confused on the difference in them. I would like to know what kind of arrows would fit my bow.
A little more info would help , like will you be shooting with fingers or a mechanical release? What type of arrow rest does your bow have?
I can reccomend an arrow that should get you in the ballpark anyway.
For your setup I (personally) would use an aluminum arrow. Some might choose a carbon to boost the speed but I think you'll probably gain some kinetic energy by sticking with aluminums. If nothing else it might be a wash either way , but being a beginner , aluminums are easier on the pocket book and are straighter than carbons.

I would like to know the difference in preformance between alunnium and carbon.
If you can keep your arrows in your target and out of the trees or walls and shoot different spots instead of slamming six arrows in one spot then there isn't a difference in performance other than speed. A carbon arrow is lighter than aluminum which makes it faster. A carbon is also more durable than aluminum , meaning they hold up better when slapping six arrows in a one inch spot or glancing one off of your target and into your dads garage. Aluminum arrows will bend , carbons dont.

I reccomend all beginning archers start with aluminum arrows and a slow to moderate speed setup. It makes it much easier to learn and isn't as intimidating as a high speed setup shooting carbon arrows.

For your setup (not sure about your cam style) a 2213 aluminum should be right in the ballpark.

I would also appreaciate any advice on a stablizer. Thanks ahead of time.
You may not even need a stabilizer. My suggestion would be to stand close to your target (hopefully a big enough target to allow for error) and shoot a few shots into the target to see what the shot feels like. Check for vibrations in your bow hand during the shot. Also check to see what your bow is doing after the shot , is it kicking back (top of bow towards you) , is it kicking forward , etc. When your testing your bow for stabilization thats when you should stand close enough to the target so the only thing you have to concentrate on is what the bow is doing after the shot. Some opinions very , but my ideal setup (right handed shooter) is for my bow to drop down and slightly to the left after the shot.
If you feel you need a stabilizer there are so many to choose from I couldn't even begin to reccomend one. The majority of them in your large chain sporting shops are pretty close in weight and you dont need to spend a fortune on one.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:03 PM

as bowfanatic said about the 2213 arrows.. the easton xx75 that i mentioned are the 2213 arrows and they shoot good from my nova.

i dont have much to compare them to except the carbon express terminator selects 6075, but i like the way the shoot.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

andy, I'd think a good arrow for your setup would be a PSE 200. You could use a 100 gr fixed broadhead, and have decent speed and penetration. There are allot of good stabilizers out there. I like to take my bow and shoot it with different stabes so I can choose the one I feel works best. The Vibrachecks and Doinkers are very good.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Spike

A great stabilizer would be one called the Tranquilizer from Golden Key. It has Simms limbsaver technology inside of it to absorb vibration and noise, they come camo, and work great.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend the EastonXX-75 in 2215. Medium wall thickness at 309 gr. at 29" bare shaft. With your nock, fletching, insert and tip you have an extremely good hunting arrow at your draw length and weight.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. I would like to know the difference between spined and unspined and what they mean. The other thing that I had forgot to meantion is that Im only able to buy them by mail order. I use mostly cabelas and would prefer to go through them.

Thanks agian.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

all arrows have a spine deflect ratio.
you will ned to find an arrow that is idealy spined for shooting a 50 pound bow

My reccomendation would be a Carbon Revolution Xtreme Impact 45-65 (or something compairable) with a 75 or 100 GN head on the front, this setup will give you a good arrow speed and KE.