Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Shorter ATA Bows? >

Shorter ATA Bows?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Shorter ATA Bows?

Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Shorter ATA Bows?

I'm kind of new to the whole bow thing and am getting conflicting advice from the 5-6 obw people at the proshops I have gone to ranging from things from cam style to loops to brace heights and a whole bunch of other things. Most of these I really feel have to do with they are trying to sell me one brand over another or convince me that the brand tehy sell is the best. I can pretty much pick apart that pretty easy. What I am having a hard time over is ATA stuff. I have one guy telling me that at 6 feet I shouldn't even consider a bow under 34 ATA which knocks a lot of bows out there and I have another couple guys telling me that the bows with the parrel limbs tend to be a bit more stable even at shorter ATA's because their riser is longer. Is there anything to this or is this just a sales man trying to make a sale? I am not experienced enough to really tell much when I test shoot a bow. Yeah, I can feel for recoil and listen to sound and see how fast it flies and how smooth it feels but the other stuff.. Is a bit beyond me. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shorter ATA Bows?

They are both correct. Sorry but it's true.

Taller archers usually shoot longer bows a bit better than the extremely short bows. At long draw lengths of 30+ inches the string angle becomes very extreme at full draw.

Yes the longer riser bows do put more weight out farther from the bows center which makes them more stable then they use to be.

Another thing I have noticed about very short bows is that the serving tends to wear a bit fast where it rolls over the module. The shorter the bow the more extreme the angle to the cable slide it and this causes it to rub the side of the module when it is drawn back rather than tracking more centered in the groove.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Basically a "ditto" on what bigbulls stated...if you are looking for more reassurance. At 6'4" inches with a 31 inch draw length I can shoot a short bow relatively accurately but longer bows make it much easier to make a mistake or two here and there in your shooting form (assuming all else remains equal).

One thing to consider though...height does not always dictate draw length. I can think of several occasions where archers over 6 feet tall were shooting draw lengths of under 29 inches. With a 29 inch or longer draw length I would probably suggest not going shorter than 33 to 34 inches.....35 or 36 would even be better....assuming average shooting ability.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice so far. I might only add that I've been around the block a few decades, shooting compounds for 30+ years, staff shooter for almost 12 0f them, so I know what works better and what doesn't. To that end I am 5'8" tall, shoot a 27.5" draw and the bows I choose to shoot are NEVER less than 35" ATA, and usually closer to 38". As the guys said, string angle at full draw means something.

As for side torque from the cable guard, try shooting a Martin X-system, and watch the torque go away.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 AM

Well, that makes a lot of sense. It really does. I am really beginning to doubt that my draw should be 29 inches but when I had one proshop measure me they used a longbow type thing with a arrow on it and had me pull back until I got to the proper anchor point on my jaw with the nock and they say it should be 29". But I just had my wife measure my armspan and if I do the divide by 2.5 method that Huntersfriend mentions on their website than I am really a 28 as my arm span is only 70.25 inches (And I grew up as a long armed kid. Guess they stopped growing shortly before I did). I really need to go someplace and shoot a couple 28 inch bows and see what they feel like. What makes me think this is that the 29 has always felt a bit longer than I would like but I keep getting told that it is right...hmm. Maybe time to trust my instincts on this. I am not worried about loosing speed as if I can't shoot straight enough because the draw is too long I will just be missing my target faster.

As far as the ATA thing I will say the long riser bows that were in the 31-33 range felt more steady than the long arm 35 inch bow I have. Well the Defender was hard to tell on but the others were just so much more steady. I am probably 2-3 months away from actually buying a bow I am just trying to get some input from people not trying to sell me something.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 PM

I am over 6' & have a draw length of 30". Any bow with an ATA shorter than 35" dosn't feel right to me. Generally as stated above taller archers in my opinion should try to use a little longer ATA bow. I think your shooting will be better if you go with the longer ATA bow.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

IL Rancher, seems to me you are going about this the right way. Take your time and shoot a lot of bows. And "good for you" in determining a drawlength. There are many that will say to draw the old recurve in the bow shop and see what you get. You did this. The problem is that often times the person helping you does not even know when to tell you to stop drawing or doesn't want to offend you. And that's the problem with that method. How is a person that doesn't know how to determine drawlength going to help someone that doesn't know how to determine their drawlnegth? The thing to take into account is that if you felt think that 29" felt too long for you then it most likely was. Absolutely, because archery is a lot about "feel".

And I imagine you're learning other things as well. The ATA issue is another one. Considering your height I'd say you can shoot anything down to about 34" well, with 36" to 38" being a bit easier. Riser/limb design all come into play. That's why general statements never cover everything.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am also a staff shooter and I agree that you should stick with a longer a-a bow(37" to 40").Especially since you are new to the sport.I would also suggest a brace height over 7 1/2" with a moderate reflex or a deflex riser.A hoyt Protec would be a fine choice imo.This is my bow of choice for 3-d.

As far as the wingspand method of checking draw length.I have yet to see it be right for anyone I know.I myself am drawing about a 1 1/4" longer than that method if memory serves me right.I have been coached a little by a friend that has coached world champions and he says my draw length is good at 28 1/2" to 29" and I am 5' 9 1/2" tall(I do have long arms).I shoot much better at 28 1/2 so I am confident this is my draw with a loop.If you were checked with the bow in hand and were comfortable with the anchor,I would say the 29" is pretty close but can't say for sure because I wasn't there.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:57 PM

I have two thoughts on my draw length right now. 1) When I did the longbow thing the tech told me to pull back a little further than I was. I wasn't anchored right and that brought me upt to 29 in his opinion. He may or may not be right. Some 29 draw bows feel great to me. Others don't. My current bow at 29 is too long but I think that has more to do with a spongy back wall on the Parker Buck Hunter. It seems to want to give a little bit more at full draw. Bugs the heck out of me sometimes.

2) I just went and shot and there was a pretty good shooter there who watched me shoot for about 30 minutes and gave me some pointers. He THINKS my draw might be 1/2 inch too long and that I might be better at a 28.5. I was doing some torquing and he showed me a different grip and worked on a few other things and before long I was shooting a lot better. Than, I got stupid and shot a Darton Avalanche that the shop had. At 29 inches it felt perfect. Damn thing shot X's for me at 20 yards after getting it sighted in. Maybe it was the lesson but the bow was a lot more stable in my hand. Little larger brace height but a little shorter ATA. Also a heavier bow. Liked it a a lot. Nicer handle than the Parker and better balance... Damn..

As far as being new to the sport, the harder thing right now is that I shot a lot as a kid about 15-20 years ago. And I have some real bad habits from back than that for some reason come back to get me at times. Just need to retrain the muscles and the eyes to do what I want them to do. Low brace heights have driven me away from more than one bow so far. No arm slapping or anything like that but anything below 7 is just, well I have my torquing issues.

You are right, I am going to keep shooting different bows until I find the one that I like and that fits all my needs. At 10 bows shot now I know which ones are my favorites and which ones, ehhh, were not right for me. There are at least 4 more bows that I would like to shoot before I make up my mind and chances are I will be picking two bows in the end. I have really like 3 bows that I have shot now and if I had to choose between the three it would be easy right now which one I would choose. But there are more bows to shoot and I need to go back and shoot the ones I liked to make sure I like them still. You have to make sure you are comparing a to b and not a to c and c to b. Oh well, the quest continues.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

IL Rancher, You have to love the Darton's. It's a comonly overlooked bow. I was sold on the Avalanch being the bow for me next season. Great shooting bow. Well for 2005 Darton has come out with the all new Tempest Extreme. Now it's back to the shop to shoot this one when they come in. It is the same style with a slightly longer axle to axel, but gives up only 1/4 inch brace. Check out their web site for specs. Darton Archery.com They have just now switched over to 2005 models. I would assume you could not go wrong with either one. After shooting my 2004 Darton storm very well . I guess I am starting to really like the Dartons.

Quick Reply: Shorter ATA Bows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.