Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 It Doesn't make sense! >

It Doesn't make sense!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

It Doesn't make sense!

Old 01-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Default It Doesn't make sense!

I have been shooting fingers for over 20 years and have always used some sort of flipper / plunger combo. An have done so because of what I have been taught of the mechanics of arrow flight being shot with a finger release. In theory with the horizontal flexing (archers Paradox) of an arrow being released this way it all makes sense! NOW I hear there's finger drop-away rests being introduced into the market. Is it plausable to get a better release from this type of rest than the proven flipper/plunger?

I'm asking because I'm in the process of putting together a new set-up with a cavalier free flyte elite / master loc plunger combo as my rest an wonder if I should spend the bucks to try something different?

You know, in the back of my mind I feel as if the manufacturers are just trying to squeese every last buck out of you! Don't get me wrong, I don't knock innovation because we wouldn't have the equipment we have today without it but there is alot of junk out there too.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: It Doesn't make sense!

You know, in the back of my mind I feel as if the manufacturers are just trying to squeese every last buck out of you!
You said it.

TR is introducing this rest for 2005.[&:]

Now if the rest drops out of the way what difference could it possibly make how the arm is shaped. It's not there to make a difference any way. It's already droped away in the first 6 inches or so of arrow travel.

A finger released arrow flexes around the riser and needs the side pressure to keep it going straight.

IMHO its just another product from TR aimed at making money rather than offering something constructive and effective to the archer.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls hit the mark. The cushion plunger adjustments fine tune the arrow flex on release. Without the plunger, fine tuning is next to impossible.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM

Well said Big Bulls and Sniper, my thoughts are the same. And yes, there is alot of junk
out there on the market today, they want our money. [:'(]
Old 01-16-2005, 08:07 PM

I have used a trap door with a finger release for 2 years now with no problem. I use the old metal "prong". I bend the inner side up to make a side wall for the arrow to ride along. All the cushion plunger spring tension does is change the arrow spine. This can be achieved in ways other then cushion plunger tension. I know of 2 people who made peer groups in the triple crown with this set up.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I posted these videos a few weeks back, but here they are again. Interesting stuff, for a fingers shooter.

Frankly, I wouldn't spend to money on a dropaway. A flipper does exactly the same thing, ie having the arrow's support get out of the way, for far less $$$.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

The cushion plunger is used for adjusting center shot and offsetting shaft resilience. It does not change the spine (stiffness) of the arrow. The arrows spine is what it is. It does not change. A specific shaft will bend "X" ammount with a specific ammount of weight attached. The cushion plunger simply helps the arrow stay straight when traveling down the sight window.

I bend the inner side up to make a side wall for the arrow to ride along.
I bet you dollars to donuts that if you recorded it with a slow motion video the prong you bent up is completely out of the way in the first six inches or so and actually does nothing to "cushion" the arrow as it travels down the bow.