Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 does this make sense >

does this make sense

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

does this make sense

Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default does this make sense

i wanna late season bow hunt cause i could really use the meat. but i dont wanna shoot a lil one jus cause its lil... dont really wanna shoot a big does for the fact she might be carryin babies of that big buck...an dont wanna shoot the basket 6 or 8 or even a 4 pt cause he'll be bigger next year..... haha.... mys well not even go....(but i am goin)...... do you think along the same lines?????
Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: does this make sense

Big does are not carrying fawns at this time of year... shoot with reckless abandon.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not tryin to argue with you but they are here... ive seen plenty when they were cut open have that lil pounch in there with teeny ones in there..... actually shot one last year(06) in december that had ones inside her..... its hard but i guess ill have to take that chance
Old 01-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

If you'd killed her in Oct. she'd never have gotten bred. Maybe she didn't get bred?

Shoot the doe!

Is there a reason you didn't take one in the earlier part of the season (were you trying, all year?)?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes i was.. i got busted on the only time i seen a big doe to shoot... any other time all i seen were small bucks. gotta be 6 pt or higher....only thing i got a shot at was a 8pt an he's half gone now.... guess ill jus have to take the chance on her not being bread
Old 01-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

THese dillemas never bothered me. A young one at this point of the season would make for some REAL fine eatingas long as you check for buttons. ANd a big doe is a big doe, shooting her 4 weeks ago she was probably pregnant then too.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's all about what makes you comfortable. If shooting a pregnant doe would bother you, don't shoot a mature doe. A "small" doe at this point in the year wouldn't be that small, and would be tasty and tender, but if that wouldn't make you happy, don't shoot.

If pulling the trigger results in akill you aren't proud enough to show off to friends, then you shouldn't pull the trigger.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

At this time of year I would shoot a little doe but make sure it doen't have buttons!!! By shooting a little one it leaves more food for the pregnat doe!! But I would have no problem if the only one to walk in was a big doe either remember we have to help the whole herd by keeping the numbers of does and bucks in check!! Walt
Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Nothing to say a small doe wasn't bred, either. Could be the same genes as is in the older doe.

But...like I said....I wouldn't hesitate because she "might" be carrying.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

Save a fawn, shoot a squirrel.

Quick Reply: does this make sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.