Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Sights & Releases >

Sights & Releases

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sights & Releases

Old 12-08-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Sights & Releases

Im looking into getting a new sight and a new relese. I will be primarily hunting. I would like to spend no more that fifty on either. I would be thrilled to keep it under thirty. I am relatively new to bowhunting. (Gone out three years [shot two antlerless])

I currently have a cobra venom sight. I really like the cobra easy slide but my freind has it and has some problems with its desighn. He says that the sight pin holder is not very secure and moves causeing him accuracy problems. Is there anything similar that is desined better.

For a relese I currently have the trophy hunter. Once after putting it on the string during my draw it popped off. Luckily I was only practicing, but I would be angry if this happened while I was drawing on a deer. I also find that the trigger is not very smooth. I understand you get what you pay for, so being a twenty dollar release (free for me) I cant complain. Ive used a tru-fire split fire and find that it has the same issue. I have also tried a fletch hunter, I was pleased with this release, having an extremely "touchy" trigger. The only bad part is the high price, so before spending sixty dollars I figured I would get some other opinions.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:17 PM

Default RE: Sights & Releases

For releases the Tru-fire Hurricane models have a very smooth trigger.
Mine is the leather buckle strap model, I prefer it over the velcro straps because it is quiet to put on and remove. Around $50, and made in WI to boot.

My sight is Vital Bow Gear Profix with a single pin. It is very bright. I also considered the Copper John Dead Nuts, they are also very bright and reasonably priced.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hurricane is OK, but.... The True Ball Stinger is about $30, has the same features as the Hurricane, and has a much better trigger. Oh, the Hurricane usually costs about $55.

Now, I saved you some money on the release. For a sight I think that the Cobra Sidewinder (3 Pin) would fit in real nice. Usually about $59 retail. Not my choice but I don't have to limit my spending. But I think it's one of the better deals for the money. Some of the features I look for in a sight are these:

All metal (no plastic to break or rattle)
Adequate pin guard to ptotect the pins (must be metal and wide enough that the pins are slightly recessed)
Steel pins
Bright, wrapped fiber optics (no light needed when it gets dim and they help old eyes)
Old 12-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hurricane or stinger for a release. These two are the best releases for the money IMO.

I don't know if your Walmart carries archery stuff but ours has Cobra and Tru glow all metal three pin fiber optic sites for $20.00. Excelent value for the money.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:57 AM

I currently have an adaquite 3 pin sight. The main feture I like about the ez slide is the single eisily adjustable pin.