Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Releases, need some help >

Releases, need some help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Releases, need some help

Old 09-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Releases, need some help

In short, I shoot a Parker Black Hawk and it's a little too long of draw length for me but is set at minimum DL. I asked the pro to shorten my D loop and it just didn't get any shorter and I can't do much better..... I could still gain 1/2" with a smaller D.....Parker rep says add about 20 twists to my string will shorten it up some.
I saw a guy on TV awhile back that had a release that hooked above and below the arrow knock with out a D loop but I don't remember where I saw or who was using it and of course I don't remember what it was called or who it was made by. Memory must be shrinking too. lol (What I think I remember is they were shooting Limb Saver bows....? ) Anyways, I think a release like that may get me the inch or less that I need but I don't know squat about it other than what I saw on one close up shot, it had 2 jaws that gripped the string above and below the arrow. Any good? Can anyone fill me in on this release?
So my options are 1)twist my string 20 times and try to shorten my D loop again. Even though it's hunting season and it's shooting perfectly when I'm not hitting my bare arm or sleeves.
2) Switch to a mystery loop less release
3) Take the bow back and make them give me a new one the correct size and start all over setting up. They did promise to be able to shorten my draw length....
I don't want to go there, do I have any better options than 1 & 2? At this time my bow is shooting great straight ahead and to my right. I'm a lefty and when I shoot down and to my right, I burn my arm or loose/change my anchor point. It's just never been comfortable and adding winter clothing will be a problem. I hunt a lot from a tree climber and I need to be able to shoot from odd positions, I think 1" would make a big difference.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Default RE: Releases, need some help

3 is your best bet but you could clip the release direct to the string with a cushion button under the arrow, eliminating the loop altogether.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Spike

from the description of the release i did some looking around and check this out and see if this is what your looking for http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/..._Releases.html
Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Yes, I believe that is it. James Greene Gator jaw release. Thank you. Now has anybody used one?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Yes KodiakArcher, that would be another option. I actually shot my 1st bow that way years ago... As far as taking the bow back, that's kind of a sore point for me. I ordered a PSE X Force but the left handed PSE bow never showed up. After waiting 2 months, I had to go with the Parker, as it was about the only good left handed bow left with in 100 miles of me. I traded off a Parker Hornet and that was a better bow than my new one. It was just as fast, shorter, lighter, quiet and it fit me better. My old bow was sold before I finally gave up on PSE. When I asked the Parker rep why my old Hornet shot my 425 grain arrow at the same speed, 275 fps, as my new Black Hawk, his answer was "Some of those single cam Hornets were very fast, faster than listed, you must have had one of the faster ones." I have a 28.5" draw with the shortest loop. The Black Hawk has 26-28" on one and 29-31. Where is 28.5"? The dealer has bent over backwards for me, I had special ordered a Limb Driver rest for the PSE so it came equipt for a split limb bow, the Parker is a Solid Limb, had to get that ordered and shipped out, Ordered a STS for the PSE, the Parker comes with one, we've had it shooting bullet holes and I made him change everything, including the loop, shot a hundred arrows, had him fine tune and clean again.....they've taken great care of me and I've been a pain in the a$$ that somehow became one of those "I need it yesterday" guys who, thanks to PSE am 2 months behind.... I'm looking for the best quick fix now. I'll trade off again after season.