Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

left eye

Old 12-09-2004, 07:27 AM

Default left eye

I am left eye dominate and have to wear a eye patch in order to shoot my bow right handed does any one have a cure for my problem or has any one tried the no peep sighting device? or am i going to have to start shooting left handed [:@] please help
Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: left eye

If right handed feels more natural/comfortable, I'd simply close my left eye.

Don't think a No-peep will do anything for you, your dominant left eye will want the pins set to it which will be tough if not impossible to do...
Old 12-09-2004, 08:47 AM

I am also left eye dominant but shoot right handed. I would NOT recomend shooting right handed and aiming with your left eye though. My freinds dad is blind in his right eye and use to do that. I had the same bow for a good thirty years and finally got a new one left handed. It could just be the bow but his accuracy was greatly increased and he said it didnt take long to get used to. Closing my left eye works well for me. Im not real accurate but im sure there are many other factors to my poor accuracy.

PS Welcome to the forum
Old 12-09-2004, 08:55 AM

i'm a bit left eye dominant and have no problem shooting right handed with both eyes open and a no peep. both eyes open took a day to get used to. if you tried to put the pin your left eye was seeing on the target it would get obvious real fast you were messing up. i've found it much easier to shoot with both eyes open with the no peep being a bit left eye dominant. when my right eye was trying to look through a peep and i'd open my left eye it would want to completely take over. with nothing restricting my vision out of my right eye its much easier to see out of it to shoot. now i don't ever wonder if i've got it correct when i draw.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:13 AM

thanks for the reply do you currently own a no peep sight? if so does it work well for you shooting both eye's open? My main problem is I can not hold my left eye shut with out an eye patch on it i can not control the eye lid independetly
Old 12-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot right handed but have a dominant left eye. I keep my left eye closed, and it works. I tried training myself to shoot with both eyes open, and if i start with the left closed and slowly open, it seems to work. On more than one occasion though, i have completely missed my target and buried my arrow into the wood frame holding it when shooting with both eyes open, so i wouldnt trust myself in a hunting situation. Since you cant keep your eye closed, i have heard of a "fix" but havent tried it myself yet. Try taping a piece of cardboard to the bill of your hat so it hangs down and blocks the vision of your left eye. I think they even sell a gizmo commercially for this. that way you can keep both eyes open and not have to wear a patch. maybe you can even rig it so you can flip it down when you need to.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Spike

I am left eye dominant but don't do anything left-handed. I struggled for years trying to shoot right handed. About 4 years ago I switched to a left-handed bow. I wish I would have done it years ago. My problem was that when a deer was coming into shooting range I had a hard time fighting my left eye. It naturally wanted to take over. I missed a few easy shots because of this. I would recommend switching.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm strongly in favor of shooting with the dominant eye, if at all possible. Having said that, I have to say I am right eye dominant and have shot right handed for 50 years. Now, due to shoulder problems, I'm learning to shoot left handed. Instinctive shooting, at that. Doing pretty well with it, so far, just by closing my right eye to get lined up. But I would never have considered switching hands if my shoulder was still healthy.

Learning to shoot lefty would be SO much easier for you, since you'd be using your dominant eye. It might take you a short while to get to the point where you can handle the same draw weight you can do right handed, but you'd be far better off to switch hands and go southpaw.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:25 PM

the no peep works well for me with both eyes open. i don't think i'm as bad left eye dominant as most. if i hold out a finger at arms length i see 2. if i make myself see just 1 image its with my left eye, but if i relax i see 2. some people, you perhaps, may be very 1 eye dominant. so what works for me may be of no help at all to you.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:42 PM

I was going to suggest poking out your eyes and swapping sockets but that's just asinine. Try lefty, it ain't horrible but your gear selection is a bit limited.