Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 20 and 30 yard arrow flight..... sighting in? >

20 and 30 yard arrow flight..... sighting in?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

20 and 30 yard arrow flight..... sighting in?

Old 10-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default 20 and 30 yard arrow flight..... sighting in?

I got my bow tuned by a shop and when i came home i sighted it in at 20 then went back to 30 and my arrows are hitting like 5-6 inches right of the bullseye.......... Whats the problem? And how do i fix it. Also my broadheads don't hit with my field points but there not off by a whole lot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch
Old 10-29-2004, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 20 and 30 yard arrow flight..... sighting in?

Your centershot is off. You'll need to continuously check for fletching clearance, while you adjust your centershot. Move your rest to the left a bit, resight at 20, check and adjust at 30. Repeat till you're dead on at both distances. 15 and 30 works too if 30 is your max effective range.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:21 PM

Or you are torquing the bow, or canting the bow. Or your sight might need to be adjusted a tiny bit. Could also be a spine issue as well.

Paul
Old 10-29-2004, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Derag2
I got my bow tuned by a shop and when i came home i sighted it in at 20 then went back to 30 and my arrows are hitting like 5-6 inches right of the bullseye.......... Whats the problem? And how do i fix it. Also my broadheads don't hit with my field points but there not off by a whole lot.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a bunch
If you are holding & releasing your bow correct; the tune they gave the bow is perhaps inferior. You may need to readjust something, but not by much, even though some shops tune the bow they sell you for free, they often do a fast job & do not get to the fine tune.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

My bow shot 20 and 30 pretty close before i had it tuned but the arrow flight was not good thats why i had it tuned. I'm pretty sure i'm not twisting the bow. I'll try and move my sight to the left a little bit and see what happens. right now I got it for 20 yards but they've taken some of the corn out so now i really need a 30 yard pin to get a buck that seems to like to stay out there a little ways.

Also i use a Whisker biscuit so my fletching is always in contact
Old 10-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

the easiest way to see if the rest is close is to place an arrow on your bow tosee if it is paralell to the stabelizerif the cam rails track to the center of the riser the arrow should be dead center of the stabelizer.
another way to check is to line the cam ra9ils up with the string then look down the arrow it should line up to the center of the string all the way down.
Clear as mud?
Old 10-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

don't you mean verticle with the stabilizer? Seeing if it was parallel would show you if you notch point is good but it wouldn't show you if your rest is good left and right.????:?

Maybe not.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:09 PM

Dont forget the great advantages of taking time and papertuning the bow. It will pay off. You will get better broadhead flight and better accuracy at further distances. First things first though....hold your bow in front of you and align the string with the center of the grip and notice if your rest is inline with the string and center of the grip. this is the easiest way to get started.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:00 AM

I had the same problem and found it to be that the site was not level with the riser. If you are using the level in your site and it is off you will be canting the bow causing the left/right difference between yardage. Hold a level against the riser and compare the bubbles in the site with the one in the level to check and adjust.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Derag2

don't you mean verticle with the stabilizer? Seeing if it was parallel would show you if you notch point is good but it wouldn't show you if your rest is good left and right.????:?

Maybe not.
no I am talking about center shot looking down, the arrow should be in line with the stabelizer.