Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 carbon vs other material >

carbon vs other material

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon vs other material

Old 10-19-2004, 08:49 AM

Default carbon vs other material

i have had a couple incidents with carbon express arrows breaking after striking game. one was black bear. i feel i made a decent shot seeing the fletching sticking out of the bear after the shot. the other half of the arrow was broke off at place of shot taking. long story short, it rained and washed the blood trail away and i did not find the bear so it could of been a shoulder shot etc. has anyone else had this trouble with carbons/carbon express. im shooting 68lbs with 300cx. a buddy said i should go to acc's and never have problems again. any input on this is appreciated.... thanks..............Mitch
Old 10-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: carbon vs other material

I have a friend who once shot a bear with an aluminum arrow. The bear spun when it heard the release and a double lung broadside shot at the release turned into a 'Texas heart shot' by the time the arrow got there. As near as he could tell, the arrow got bound up inside the pelvic arch and the first 3" broke off. The broadhead continued on thru the guts and diaphragm, taking out the heart. But he was shaking in his boots because he saw almost all the arrow sticking out the bear's butt, and he was on the ground, not 30 yards away from a jaws poppin, angry bear.

Well the bear dropped dead a few seconds later, so my friend didn't get et up. But the moral of the story is Stuff Happens. Would a different arrow, ACC or otherwise, not have broken? Would you have found your bear if you'd been shooting a different arrow? Who knows.

I have to say if I could afford them, I'd shoot nothing but ACC's. But I'm not going to say they'd have really done any better in the situation you described.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:54 AM

I am shooting Carbon Express CX 300's this year for the first time and I think they are pretty brittle compared to the Gold Tips I shot before. I have already broken 3 arrows in just a few weeks. I shot a doe a week ago Saturday and the arrow was broken in at least 3 pieces.

The next dozen arrows I buy will be Gold Tip Pros. Screw these CE arrows. They just don't stand up to the same punishment.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:22 AM

Stick with the goldtip's. I don't see any reason to shoot an expensive arrow like acc's when goldtip's do the same job.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Stick with the goldtip's. I don't see any reason to shoot an expensive arrow like acc's when goldtip's do the same job.
DITTO
Old 10-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

When their spine deteriorates and you have to buy another dozen, tally your true costs then
Old 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

When their spine deteriorates and you have to buy another dozen, tally your true costs then
I shot the same dozen GT's for 5 or 6 years from two different bows and NEVER had one where the spine deteriorated. I probably had thousands of shots on all of them. I've drilled trees, rocks and cinderblock walls with them and in all that time, I broke ONE. I did lose a few. I shot aluminums before that and in the time it took me to lose 1/2 dozen GT's, I would have had to buy several dozen aluminums. For me, the GT's were MUCH less expensive all things considered.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:41 PM

I had a friend give me 4 Easton A/C/C arrows. I would never go back to any other arrow. I love the A/C/C arrows. They are expensive, but well worth it.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

carbon xpress arrows are very brittle and dammage easy

Best arrow on the market bar none is the Easton ACC but they do bend and once they are bent they are useless.

The carbon Revolution brand arrows are very good and very strait arrows the extreme impact a step above their econo hunters which are supposed to be no more than .006 strait but I havent seen one that are over .003 and most are .001 and the shafts are also very consistant in weight and they sell for about 39.95 bare shaft, includes nocks and inserts.

the Gold tips would be my third choice in arrows but arent quite as strait as other 2 mentioned.

the best thing about all 3 brands they are made in USA.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:28 AM

It doesn't sound like your loss had anything to do with the arrow breaking. I'm sure it didn't hit soft tissue and snap off. All carbon arrows are reasonably tough. One might be stronger than another, but they'll all do the job when the person shooting puts it where they should.