Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Material for Backstop??? >

Material for Backstop???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Material for Backstop???

Old 08-08-2004, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Material for Backstop???

I have been shooting 25 yds or less b/c I don't have a safe place to shoot beyond that. However, it is time to start practicing up to 40 so I need to develop a backstop for the occasional "flyer". With my old bow, 54 lbs of KE, a 1/4 inch piece of plywood worked, though probably not great for the arrows. My new bow is 66 lbs and the plywood won't stop them.

I was thinking a heavy rubber mat might be a possibility but figured you guys have tested a lot of things so I am interested in your suggestions.

thx.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Material for Backstop???

I use hay bales, you can get them real cheap, just a buck or two, I use four of them two on top of eachother, and one standing upright on both sides. works great, never had one pass through.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:15 PM

I know people who use some kind of black stuff. Its like rubber kinda sticky and the arrows bounce back a couple of feet. I dont know the name of it though[:@]
Old 08-08-2004, 02:42 PM

I would go to your local home center and buy a couple of pieces of rubber that are used in commercial rubber roofs and then adhere that to a piece of plywood. That rubber roof stuff is about a half inch thick, that should stop 'em.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use my shed, stops them cold, might have to replace that one panel soon tho. hmmmmmmmm wonder if that why my cooler was leaking that was inside the shed.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:23 PM

Tealboy, You can use a black mat called mining belt. It is used by coal mines to move coal. I am not sure if you are in an area that has any coal mining operations. If you are that is the stuff to use. It is about 3/8 of an inch thick. Alot of times you can get it really cheap if not free. If you can't get that, a rubber truck bed liner would also work. If you can get mining belt, it cuts best with a hack saw.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:42 PM

yeah use square bales on the sides and 2 in the back u might even want to put a piece of ply wood in the back just in case..
Old 08-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

I am going to look in home depot b/c it is time to start shooting out to 40 yds and I need something to stop my wild shots.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:07 PM

I have been using shrink wrap stuffed into old potato sacks. It works great on field points and mech. or fixed blades. They last a long time and are light.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now I know people have bad days when shooting, but are you going to be shooting animals out to 40yds? If you have this many shots where you totally miss the target I think 40yds is a little too far. Not judging you or anything just making a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Material for Backstop???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.