Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 MrFritz44, Here's my Patriot update >

MrFritz44, Here's my Patriot update

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MrFritz44, Here's my Patriot update

Old 10-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default MrFritz44, Here's my Patriot update

Subject- 04 patriot with "creaky noise" draw cycle.
Here’s what happened at the Bowtech dealer proshop. Although with the amount of time Outback fell out of their mouth’s you wouldn’t know it[:-]. They don’t even show the bowtechs to anyone, just straight to the Outback. Sold 2 while I was there. Heck, by the time I left I was in zombie mode with “Outback” floating through my brain.

Anyhow, the limbs were removed from my bow and some minor filing done to each limb pocket. THEN a tremendous amount of (stinky) white grease was gobbed into each limb pocket. The noise did go away, but now my bow stinks like a bucket of grease (I gave it a thorough wipe down with earth scented scent killer and did some q-tip excess grease removal, so the smell is somewhat calmed down now).

The shop was very busy (88*f can do that to a shop in October) and in the end I was behind the counter using their “X” style bow press in order to get my timing marks correct and peep rotating true once again. Before I left (some 4+ hours later) the bow was on as good as before I showed up, but creak free. When I asked about tuning suggestions with the dropzone there was no help to be had- they were just too busy at the time.

This lube job ran me $20.00 which is kind of disheartening considering I just paid $650 for this bow ~6 months ago and it has NEVER been exposed to any increment weather to date and sleeps next to my bed at night (kinda like a good dog[8D]). I f the creak never returns I'll be happy.

I took it to the lease and made sure it was on with my broadhead’s (slick tricks and 4 blade magnum stingers) and then made sure it was on from up in my climber at 18’ up with my pendulum sight shooting from 5-30 yards. All is well (except for the smell).

Here’s a scent killer question for ya- I made one batch in a 3 quart cleaned bleach container –it smells a little strong like salt and the green soap mixed.
Here’s what I’d like clarified if you will.
Are you pouring the entire 16oz peroxide into the gallon?
By “2 shots of green soap” are you talking 2 squirts or 2 actual shot glasses?
All was well with my brew until I added the soap, smells odd now.
Thanks for the help!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: MrFritz44, Here's my Patriot update

Good to hear you're in business without the creak - not sure what to do about the grease smell.

As far as the scent goes, I personally wouldn't use a bleach bottle to store it in. I imagine it's probably pretty scent free given a human's ability to detect odor, but what of a whitetail's? I don't know for sure, but it's what I don't know for sure that makes me apprehensive about using a bleach bottle.

I keep mine in the jug that the distilled water comes in. I should probably spray paint the jug black to maintain the peroxide's composition, but I figure it's enough to store it in a dark place and refresh it every once in a while with peroxide. Besides, it's what I did last year when I gained my confidence in how well it worked.

Anyway, yes, pour the whole 16oz of peroxide into the container. What I'll do is pour out half the distilled water into a bowl, then add the peroxide, then add the baking soda, then add two full shot glasses of the soap. Finally, I'll pour back enough of the distilled water to fill the gallon jug.

I wouldn't get too scientific about it, so long as your ingredients are correct. It will tend to smell like the soap a bit from the jug. It's kind of a sterile smell....if you there is a smell to "sterile". After you spray down that smell goes away.

Good luck and be sure to post how it works out for you. The response from this year's "beta testers" has been pretty positive. I love it cause it's cheap!

Fritz
Old 10-08-2004, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, the brown bottle peroxide my wife picked up at wally world had very little if any odor what-so-ever. I was impressed. Knowing her and what it was goiong to be used for I can only imagine it was the cheapest on the shelf.

I'll make another batch this week and just use it reguardless of smell. I had 3 deer wind me and run off last week (tail low) and can only imagine it was my climber smelling like my storage trailer. I took it back to camp and gave it a thorough bathing in scent free soap. Having bulk scent killer to spray it down before each hunt will be nice to ease my mind.

p.s. For future reference- is well water as good as distilled?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

For future reference- is well water as good as distilled?
I'm no expert, but I would say yes. It just can't have the iodides(?) and chlorides(?) that city water has added to it.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Het Fritz, I made a new batch and it smells much better than my last. Must have been a bad reaction with the brand of green soap I used initially or something.
This latest batch smells almost like........NOTHING.

Thanks for the help, now I need to go to wally world and pick up a spray bottle so I can saturate my self and gear with this cheap scent killer!