Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New 03 Patriot String Jumped Pulley on 3RD SHOT!!! >

New 03 Patriot String Jumped Pulley on 3RD SHOT!!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New 03 Patriot String Jumped Pulley on 3RD SHOT!!!

Old 10-06-2004, 11:01 AM

Default RE: New 03 Patriot String Jumped Pulley on 3RD SHOT!!!

Rangeball,
Your theory is possible but I don't know. There is a lot of pressure on the string keeping it in the groove. Who knows?

Of all the bows I have sold. The string/cables have only came off two. The first was a victim of a 25 foot fall from a treestand. The second simeonw had drawn his buddy's bow back while the release was wraped around the string and cables at the bottom cam.

I have never had one come in with the strings or cables off without something drastic like that happening.

Have your proshop fix it and if it happens again send it back and Bowtech will fix it.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:01 PM

I talked to a guy at my proshop who always seems to be there............you all know the guy I am talking about

Anyways..........he and the owners had been taking some high intensity archery boot camp kinda thing that lasted a couple months and they all said had turned them into shooting machines.

He said that during the course they were shown super slow motion video of bows being shot and they couldn't believe what they saw. They said the cables and strings bounce all over the place and it's a miracle the bows don't come apart every other shot. He said it made him almost afraid to shoot a compound after that []

He may just be full of crap.........I don't know for sure. I do know that I never thought an arrow could whip around like a wet noodle on release either until I saw the video.

Just reminded me of his story................I actually prefer NOT to see that video if it's true.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:40 PM

I had to work and go to school so someone took it today for me and it is fixed now.

Some of you guys were right, the bow tech said the way i was holding it, when i accidently came off the wall (used to twin cam browning rage with 70% letoff and a lot of play in the wall, not used to 80% letoff and a solid wall) I wasnt ready for it to release so I somewhat "resisted" the release for probly a milisecond while my finger hit the trigger. It happened very fast of course but I do remember resisting slightly, which is why my finger to hit the trigger, it wasnt just a clean release. This cause serious torquing and popped the string off the pulley.

Thanks for all the ideas, I wasnt expecting to have it fixed this quick.

I never put my finger in front of the trigger while drawing but i keep it up above the trigger. But I found thats not good enough. Lesson learned.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

I took from his post that the issue was with his string, not his cable.
Rangeball:

Sorry -- I somehow missed that it must be the string as well (please correct us if we're wrong!).

If it were indeed the string jumping off, I guess I can see how your theory would work. I actually had to pick up my bow and fake draw it before it made sense... And between my wife and I, i'm supposed to have better visualization skills []

Anywho, hope the pro shop got you straightened away Elephanthunter!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: mjqood0

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

I took from his post that the issue was with his string, not his cable.
Rangeball:

Sorry -- I somehow missed that it must be the string as well (please correct us if we're wrong!).

If it were indeed the string jumping off, I guess I can see how your theory would work. I actually had to pick up my bow and fake draw it before it made sense... And between my wife and I, i'm supposed to have better visualization skills []

Anywho, hope the pro shop got you straightened away Elephanthunter!

I can see how it would be easy to misunderstand it was the string instead of the cable, after all the topic of this thread is New 03 Patriot String Jumped Pulley on 3RD SHOT!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:47 AM

LOL@ Ratus,,, he said topisLOLOL
Old 10-07-2004, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: walks with a gimp

LOL@ Ratus,,, he said topisLOLOL

Look again, I did not!

You can't prove it since you didn't quote me?
Old 10-07-2004, 11:34 AM

Thank you Ratus -- I THINK we're all clear here...
Old 10-07-2004, 12:18 PM

Yes you did!!! You RATUS!!!!!LOLL You just edited it out
Naaa na na na naaaaa
Old 10-07-2004, 06:18 PM

For those of you who have grave concerns about this happening to you, the probability would be very small. I have 'intentionally' twisted/torqued risers and shot bows to show customers 'what not to do', and have never had this happen.

On the other hand, if you twist/torque the riser, twist/torque the release, and have an idler wheel that is not properly aligned to the string, the string could very easily 'jump' the track of the idler.

Just about every string job we do at the shop is laser adjusted. You'd be surprised at how string/cable/cam alignment is hardly ever done properly by some manufacturers.