HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   New 03 Patriot String Jumped Pulley on 3RD SHOT!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/74955-new-03-patriot-string-jumped-pulley-3rd-shot.html)

elephanthunter 10-05-2004 07:56 PM

New 03 Patriot String Jumped Pulley on 3RD SHOT!!!

just bought it tonight, new 03' bowtech patriot VFT...was not used to the draw cycle so i had to aim up when drawing.

Drew back and hit the wall, took a few steps forward and the arrow released hitting my friends house. We laughed and I thought i had just accidently gone off the wall and it pulled with my finger in front of the trigger and it fired.

I look down and the string has jumped off the top pulley.

Im taking it back tomorrow to the shop.

Have yall heard of this happening??? the bottom cam didnt look bent? What yall think caused it??? I hope they dont try and say its my fault. [:o][:@][:@]

KIDD642 10-05-2004 09:51 PM

RE: New 03 Patriot String Jumped Pulley on 3RD SHOT!!!

That really seems bizarre?!? let us know what you find out at the shop tomorrow. I am also trying to figure out what happened, I have sold a ton of these bows and had never have that happen. Anxious to hear what you find out, goodluck.

Kanga 10-05-2004 09:52 PM

was not used to the draw cycle so i had to aim up when drawing.
Sounds like you are over bowed.

took a few steps forward
why are you walking at full draw?

thought i had just accidently gone off the wall and it pulled with my finger in front of the trigger and it fired.
Never draw with your finger in front of the trigger.

I look down and the string has jumped off the top pulley.
This is the first I have heard of this happening.

elephanthunter 10-05-2004 10:50 PM

Sounds like you are over bowed.
Im not, the valley is way different then my previous bow and Ive had a previous shoulder injury so Im being careful the first few times I shoot to get used to it. Drawing with the bow pointed up a little and then bringing it back down slowly as I come to the wall helps my shoulder get used to it and not re-injure. Same as a warm up when doing a new exercize that require new muscle movements your not used to at the gym.

why are you walking at full draw?

Never draw with your finger in front of the trigger.
Drew back and realized I didnt trust my sight yet, took a few steps to be closer to shoot instinctively. We all make stupid mistakes.

Im not for sure if my finger was in front of the trigger, I usually dont do that but I figure I accidently did that, or the string jumped at full draw causing a movement that could have hit the hair trigger.

Regardless I wasnt doing anything damaging to the bow. If at full draw I pulled the bow over my head and behind my back and between my legs then shot, it should not make the bow jump off string. Know what Im saying?

Ill let yall know what the shop says within the next few days. With this being a rare occurance I am worried the shop will say I dry fired it and it happened or something.

BTW - When I arrived they had set up a dually instead of single cam, so they had to hurry and finish setting up my bow (they had to use a press because they had to put on peep and hush kit) before they closed. Maybe they rushed too much putting it back together???

walks with a gimp 10-06-2004 12:24 AM

Good luck!!![:@] Stories like this make me glad I'm not an archery shop owner,,, but I probably will be someday;)

davidmil 10-06-2004 05:56 AM

Sounds like you dry fired it to me. Maybe in you "taking a few steps forward" and all that(what's up with that anyway???) you nocked the arrow off the string. When you released it caught hold or something on a fletching. Who knows, but it sure sounds like a dry fire to me.

elephanthunter 10-06-2004 06:18 AM

Sounds like you dry fired it to me. Maybe in you "taking a few steps forward" and all that(what's up with that anyway???)
I told you whats up with that and its not that big of a deal it was a mistake. This board is good at helping people so dont turn this into like most other boards when one guy starts critisizing and all the sheep follow.

you nocked the arrow off the string. When you released it caught hold or something on a fletching. Who knows, but it sure sounds like a dry fire to me.
The arrow did not come un-nocked. The hole in the side of my friends house and the shattered arrow are proof of that. I believe if it would have just caught the fletching it would have ripping the fletching and not sent the arrow at enough speed to penetrate wood.

Rangeball 10-06-2004 07:26 AM

Just speculating, but I wonder if the act of drawing it skyward is the culprit here...

You had your bow set for a specific draw length, I assume one that would fit you when you are at level full draw. When you lower your bow arm instead of bending at the waist, it has the effect of shortening your draw length. It makes sense to me (and I just tested raising and lowering my arm extended to imitate full draw) that when you raise your arm above level, it effectively increases your draw length.

I'm guessing that's what happened. When you had your bow arm up to draw, you're draw length was longer, but the bows was not. This allowed the string to come out of the cam groove enough that when you leveled off and shot, it came out of the groove.

Barring that, voodoo magic? :)

mjqood0 10-06-2004 07:33 AM

Rangeball:

Your theory is plausable. But I'm still a little confused for his sake. I mean, on my bow (a Browning), when I hit the wall, I can't pull it past without more effort than I'm willing to give. And if he was at the wall of his bow, should the cable not stay on the cam? I'd like to think that my bow will keep it's cables happy at any and all points through a normal draw cycle, all the way to the wall.

I'm gonna go with your second theory, "voodo magic". There just doesn't seem to be any logical explanation.

Elephanthunter, look at your bow. Is the cable on the correct side of the cable guard? (Don't laugh... my wifes bow came with the cable on the wrong side, and yes, i'm not going back to that shop again). If this is the case, take the bow to the pro shop, yell and scream and then find a new pro shop to actually do the work. Just a thought. Other than that, i'm still sticking with voodo magic.

Rangeball 10-06-2004 08:24 AM

And if he was at the wall of his bow, should the cable not stay on the cam?
I took from his post that the issue was with his string, not his cable.

At full draw, due to the angle the string is being held at, it is only contacting a small portion of the idler wheel. I don't think it would take much, coupled with a bit of torquing by drawing upwards and possibly pushing the bow a bit to the side while still anchoring near the face then lowering, to create the potential for what I suspect.

It's purely a guesstimate on my part, but seems possible.