Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bow performance variance by temperature >

Bow performance variance by temperature

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow performance variance by temperature

Old 03-01-2002, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow performance variance by temperature

I live in Phoenix. It gets wicked hot here, usually above 100F by 10am in the summer. My bow was spot on for me (here) then I went back east to hunt and it was shooting a little high. My guess is the temp difference. The elevation was within a few hundred feet of each other so I dont think that was a factor. Is this to be expected? Are there limb materials that are more consistent with large temp differences? If I were to pull the bow on a scale when it's hot and then do it when it's cold would I get two different peak weights? I'm shooting a Merlin Lite Storm Solo with the standard limbs.

Cargo
Old 03-01-2002, 08:28 PM

Default RE: Bow performance variance by temperature

How much is a "little" high? I am no materials science expert, but temperatures do affect things. Removing human error (if you could), I am sure that you would see some slight variations in shot groups by taking a bow which has been tuned in 90F and dry conditions to a place where it is much colder and more humid. I guess that is one of the reasons why we shoot a few groups to make sure our equipment is ok when we reach our hunting areas

Just a side question: Are you originally from Maine?

The Mouse
Old 03-02-2002, 12:34 AM
Fork Horn

"a little high" was about 2 inches at 20 yards. The temperature when I was sighting my bow in was around 105-115, where I was hunting it was in the upper 30's to lower 40's. I'm originaly from Morgantown, West Virgina.

Cargo
Old 03-02-2002, 05:55 AM

As a my bow gets hoter the string tends to strrech thus the bow gets slower and the arrrow drops faster. That is also why you would get two different peak weights. THe yok can also strech from this and cause the same thing. something else to look at on those 100* days is the sun bright and on the cooler days is the sun less bright this can effect the way you view the sight pin and cause your point of impact to change hope this helps some.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:44 PM

Wow! That is almost a 70 degree variation in temperature. I would be surprized if the groups hadn't changed. Maybe this is unrelated, but when I wear thicker clothing my groups shift: I think I am altering my draw because of decreased range of motion. How much extra clothes did you have on? Maybe this changed things a bit?

The question about Maine was because I have a best friend who is a native of Maine and she says "wicked hot" "wicked cold" "wicked cool" etc. and claims it is a Maine-thing.

The Mouse