Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Do I need a new string? >

Do I need a new string?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do I need a new string?

Old 09-15-2004, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do I need a new string?

I noticed my peepsight cut a strand of my string. The strand is propbably 1.5-2.0 mm thick. I didn't notice it before because it was waxed tight to the string. Could this cause a problem?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:34 PM

Default RE: Do I need a new string?

Hopefully others will chime in on this one. Personally, I just had the same thing happen to me. I had 2 trands broken. I had tied my peep in too tightly, also I moved it once without taking all the tension off the string in my press (dumb move! ) fraying and cutting one of the strands. I decided to replace the string to be safe. A new string is far cheaper than a new bow or severe injury! I know it sucks to have to break in a new string just before the season....[&o]
Old 09-16-2004, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope my proshop pays for it because they did move the peep while it was tied in. Yeah I'm just going to have to shot the heck out of it until the day before season then tune right before.

When you put in a peep should and you have to fine tune these adjustments should you always put it in the press when you do that?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:30 PM

I always put my bow in the press before serving or working on peep sights or anything in the string in fear of cutting a strand , i custom build strings and cables so i can replace mine at need but i still am very cautious about it
Old 09-17-2004, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: thenuge15

I hope my proshop pays for it because they did move the peep while it was tied in. Yeah I'm just going to have to shot the heck out of it until the day before season then tune right before.

When you put in a peep should and you have to fine tune these adjustments should you always put it in the press when you do that?

Yes, I always put my bow in a press when I'm going to be working with the peep or anything when it comes to working on the string or cable.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Replace it. Anytime there is a broken strand you are running the risk of it breaking. Also don't expect the shop to pay for a new one. I work at a shop and not saying you aren't honest but we have no way of knowing what a customer does to their bow and I have seen some really weird things that have been done and when asked have been told that they hadn't touched it.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would replace it asap!!!!! My string 2 nights ago! Scared the poop out of me. I just set the bow down and 5 seconds later BOOM! Luckily my bow survived unscathed! I personally replace string and cable at the same time! Shootin a bow with broken or frayed strands is a nightmare waiting to happen!
Old 09-19-2004, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

the guy at the shop said one strand is no big deal. If you think about it winners choice strings have less strands than a factory string so whats the difference?