Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Cam question from a newbee >

Cam question from a newbee

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cam question from a newbee

Old 03-01-2002, 01:22 AM

Default Cam question from a newbee

round, mild, hatchet...
do these determine release speed, overall arrow speed, draw weight? please help a newbee out. thanks
Old 03-01-2002, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cam question from a newbee

Moko,

Welcome to the technical forum. It is nice to meet you.

I will take a stab at this one.

1. I have no idea what you mean by "release speed". Could you clarify that further?

2. Yes, the cam design does have a direct impact on arrow speed when all else is equal. The more agressive the cam (the harder it is to draw usually) then the more arrow speed you can generally expect from any given bow. Now I did say "when everything else is equal" because other factors such as brace height, axle to axle length, draw length, limb materials, etc... can also impact speed. They all play some part in the system.

3. No, the style of cam does not affect the draw weight level of your bow...exactly. What the different styles of cams do is determine how long you are pulling that set draw weight during the draw cycle.

Lets say you have a 30 inch draw length and you have 3 bows...a round wheel, a soft cam (mild as you termed it), and a hard cam bow. All three are set to a 65 lb draw weight.

The round wheel bow might actually pull that 65 lb draw weight for only 2 or 3 inches of that 30 inch draw cycle whereas the soft cam bow might pull that 65 lbs for 5 or 6 inches and the hard, hatchet-style, cam might pull that 65 lb draw weight for 9 or 10 inches of the 30 inch draw cycle.

Now, it isn't always as "cut and dry" as that but I exaggerated the differences so that you would understand the difference between one and the other.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - PABowhntr on 03/01/2002 05:54:44