Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 QAD Ultra rest and vane clearance? >

QAD Ultra rest and vane clearance?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

QAD Ultra rest and vane clearance?

Old 09-10-2004, 10:14 PM

Default QAD Ultra rest and vane clearance?

Recently bought the QAD Ultra rest and had it installed on my bow. The pro shop said that the cock vane should go in the up position for this rest, and he paper tuned the bow. I shot it before I left and noticed one of the vanes were just touching the cable. He told me that it paper tuned ok and shouldn't be a problem. While shooting the arrows appeared to fly straight and true. All of that and now the problem, the vanes are starting to wrinkle along the edges and I'm not sure if it's cable contact or actually hitting the rest.

I've tried turning the nocks a little so that the vanes weren't hitting the cable, but I'm wondering if there's another problem.

This is the first drop away rest I've ever used and there may not be any problems. Just doesn't seem right for the vanes to wrinkle.

I should mention that the rest is on a Bow Tech Stalker, 32" draw and 63lbs.

Thanks
Tom
Old 09-11-2004, 07:14 AM

Default RE: QAD Ultra rest and vane clearance?

Please contact Len In Maryland. He has a lot of experience with this rest. I just took my rest there to have him look at it. I am having problems with the same rest on a Patriot. I have not got to the part of vane clearance yet since I can not get center shot with out the rest being replaced with a newer version. Here is a copy of the message I sent to QAD:

Also, talking with the archery shop owner, Len from Macrotech, he has suggested that there is an issue with vane clearance at times with this rest. It is his theory that the rest does not drop quick enough to allow the arrow to be shot with out vane contact. Is this true and if so, what can be done to fix this issue? He had mentioned changing the spring tension up to allow the launcher to drop faster.

They did not answer yet.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:58 PM

i got a quad rest and went to the blazer vanes and have no problems.these vanes perform just as well as the 4in i had and with my broadheads they fly like my field pts.thats about a 2 in difference in clearance and i love them.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first got my QAD Ultra Rest, I put it on my Frankenstein bow (which I officially retired last night), and I was getting pretty heavy contact. Jeff B., who had good experiences with the rest questioned my nock travel, and with the limbs out ot tiller, that could have been the problem. I put the rest on my new Darton Tundra, and it is working very well. That is a bow that has 2 things going for it, level nock travel and a 7 1/2" brace height. Those long prongs that contain the arrow might be a problem for some bows, and I was cosidering making a different launcher piece for the rest when I was having the contact issues. I have heard that some other guys have had problems with Bowtech single cams and drop away rests, particularly the Trophy Taker. I agree that there seems to be no way to take the rest apart, or change the tension on the spring. Hopefully, they will upgrade the rest to include some adjustment.

Good luck, hope you get the problem fixed. Have you tried raising the nock point?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. I work 3rd shift and after I got off from work is when I was tring it out. Saturday morning it occured to me that the nocks wern't glued in. DUH![X(] Will after adjusting them everything seems fine. Sorry I went brain dead and wasted wave lenght.

Thanks again
Tom
Old 09-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

What type of arrows are you useing?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:21 AM

The arrows are

Gold Tip Expeditions, 7595, 30 3/4", 4"vanes