Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 PATRIOT VANE CLEARANCE >

PATRIOT VANE CLEARANCE

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

PATRIOT VANE CLEARANCE

Old 07-14-2006, 08:44 PM

Default PATRIOT VANE CLEARANCE

I've got an 03 ,picked it up used.I've got a whisker bisquit on it and 4 " feathers.I'm thinking of swaping to a prong type rest,but even with the bisquit I've got to put the cock feather out to get clearance on the cables.I don't thinkI could shoot either cock feather up or down and get clearance.What gives?

CB
Old 07-14-2006, 08:53 PM

Default RE: PATRIOT VANE CLEARANCE

Have you paper tuned the bow? I'd bet a dollar that rest needs to be moved.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting the factory cable slide or did it come with an after factory job?
I know on my 04 Patriot the simms alows the string & cable to come out too far and the silent slide pulls them over too much.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:43 AM

It has been tuned.I am using the factory slide.Would the teflon type cable slides afford more clearance?

CB

Old 07-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some would, some would not. But getting away from the amount of cable & string offset provided by the factory slide can cause more serving wear on your string & cable where it tracks on the cam.

Would this pose an issue with your set-up? not sure. But I have seen this issue brought up in the past concerning other bowtechs.

How big of a fletching are you trying to shoot? And which direction do they spin?
I ran into this issue a few years back by trying to shoot left helical 4" feathers. By switching to right hand I was able to get the clearance I needed because the left fletch have my feathers feeding into the cable as to where the right had it feeding away from the cable when the arrow was at rest.

Are you having issues while the bow is at rest (fletching will touch cable while arrow is on the rest) , or during the shot?
Old 07-15-2006, 06:07 AM

I am shooting 4" left wing feathers and yes the clearance issueis at rest. I was wanting to try the blazer vanes and go back to a prong style rest.I may fletch some up with a right off set and see how it works.

I really like the way the Pat shoots.It's fast and quiet.I've just never seen this kind of problem with clearance on the other bows I've owned.

Thanks,
CB
Old 07-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

On my Diamond Victory I have experienced the same problem. I use Blazers with a right helical. I resolved my problem by turning the nock just a bit. So rather than the cock vane being straight up at 12 o'clock it is at about a 1 o'clock position, well not quite that far, just enough for the vane to clear the cable. I use a Cobra diamondback dropaway and the factory cable slide. Since making this adjustment I no longer have contact.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had similar problems with my 03 Patriot. The things I ended up doing were adding a loop and raising the nock a bit. I ended up with bullets and no more contact with the APA drop away. I eventually switched to a WB and Blazers and was far more stisfied with that setup. By the way thats a great bow, you should hang on to it.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:11 PM

I am using a loop.I may try the blazers with the WB.I hear that combo works well.I have not had much luck using vanes and a WB,hence the feathers.I really would like to get back to a prong rest of some sort.heck if I gotta shout cock featther out i may drag out the old hunter supreme or star hunter.Those rests killed a lot of deer "back in the day".

Thanks

CB
Old 07-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same problem with my '03 Extreme VFT. I just rotated the nock a bit and everything's good.