Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Spitfire Broadhead Users One simple question? >

Spitfire Broadhead Users One simple question?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Spitfire Broadhead Users One simple question?

Old 09-07-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Spitfire Broadhead Users One simple question?

I bought some Spitfire 125 broadheads and will be using them this year. First time using mechanicals. I have read many great reviews on these broadheads. But I have one question about them.

When you snap the blades up into position it seems like they are very tight. Is this normal. I am shooting around 75ft/p of KE with my old arrows and since changing to carbon arrows I am now shooting about 66ft/p of KE. I am just wondering if it is normal for the blades to be very tight when snapped up inside, in the shooting position?

Thanks
Scott
Old 09-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spitfire Broadhead Users One simple question?

Yes it's normal. You can open and close them repeatedly for awhile until they open a little easier if it eases your mind.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:29 AM

Yes it's normal. These heads work off friction to keep the blades down, not a rubber band or O-ring. I don't remember the ones I had being really tight, but they were snug enough to hold the blades down well. For this reason though I don't put them in the same class as some other mechanicals. I feel it takes more energy to use them than the standard mechanical. However if you have the energy (which you do) to use them they work very well.

Paul
Old 09-07-2004, 03:27 PM

The tighter you tighten the set screws that hold the blades, the
easier the blades will open. I always keep mine tight so they open easier. Have never had one open in flight. Works well for me.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys

dsheally I will have to try tightening the set screws and see if that helps.

They just seems very tight to me. Almost so tight that I am not sure if they would open.

Thanks again
Scott
Old 09-07-2004, 04:16 PM

If you shoot mechanicals into foam targets, the foam gets into the grooves and binds up the blades sometimes. When that happens I take apart and clean out all the foam target material, and sharpen or replace the blades.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:59 PM

dsheally

I tightened up the set screws like you said.
IT WORKED
Thanks so much for the info. Now the blades open much easier.
Very useful tip.

Scott
Old 09-07-2004, 07:43 PM

Glad to help. Good luck this season!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:11 PM

That tightness is normal for the Spitfires. If you look at the blades, there is a small hole in them. If you look into the slot where the blades fold into the body of the broadhead, you will see a small metal plate. That plate has a small dimple in it which locks into the hole in the blade and holds it locked closed. The tightness of the blade is performed by the dimple. If you tighten the screw, it torques that plate and moves the dimple away from the blade. As Bowfanatic stated, you can open and close them several times to make them open easier. All this does and wear down the surface of the dimple so it doesn't hold as well. The blades may open in flight but I don't know at what point that will happen. When you buy the replacement blade pack, it comes with the blades, the plates and screws. Take a look at one and you will see what I am talking about.
Having said all of that. I have used them in the past and they worked fine. I'm currently using the Scorpions and they are working well also but they use a rubber band. NAP just makes quality products.

Steve