Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowtech shooters, how long do your string silencers last? >

Bowtech shooters, how long do your string silencers last?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech shooters, how long do your string silencers last?

Old 09-03-2004, 07:08 PM

Default RE: Bowtech shooters, how long do your string silencers last?

ORIGINAL: Bowtech Joe

I just got my bow a little over a week ago and have already lost one of the "legs" from the top string silencer and top cable silencer. Is this normal wear?

When replacing the string silencers dd you get the bowtechs again or something else?
On one of my calls to bowtech they said the silencers would be replaced when they could improve on them, they are searching for a replacement now.

The ones you have will last depending on the stress they receive.

A perfectly tuned bow shot with a D-loop tied on in both direction for balance, will not be too noisy without them, until a superior creation arrives.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:29 PM

it has been just over 2 weeks since i got the bow, 4 of the 5 nubs are missing from the upper silencer so when i had the bow in to get the sight fixed i had the tech serve a set of catwhiskers in and trim them for me.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried and I've tried, but still come up with a blank.

My Patriot rips the arms off the leechs' in less than 50 shots easily. More like 30.

I bought and installed 2 string bats, but they made the bow sound as if NOTHING was on the string. I should have tried all 4 on the string, but returned them before giving that a go.

I guess I'm down to stinky cat wiskers. I just don't get how we're supposed to jump through hoola hoops trying to be "scent free" and then go and put rubber smelling cat whiskers on our hunting rigs.

p.s.- I'm not crazy, I tied an Allen into my mathews and shot it some, came back inside and had the wfe verify the "rubber" smell. OR maybe we're both crazy?

But then again, I do still have the bass jig skirt trick up my sleeve- Hmm ponderous.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

Just went through this silencer issue with my Patriot for the second time (I'm a hard learner).

I tried Leeches - arms ripped off.
I tried Bats - lousy silencing ability. Took the two off the string and kept the two on the cables.
I tried Cats cut to about an inch - beautiful......pain in the butt to install correctly but they work great, they're cheap, and they work.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

My Patriot rips the arms off the leechs' in less than 50 shots easily. More like 30.
You are now the fourth person I have spoken with in the last couple months who has related the same thing. I believe it has something to do specifically with the Patriot SC model...in addition to what I mentioned above. Case in point, I had a gentleman come into the shop last night looking for fletchings but we ended up chatting about a variety of issues. One thing that came up was that he had alot of problems with the squidees on his Bowtech. The model? A Patriot SC and he was shooting below 6 grains per pound of draw weight...at a heavy draw weight setting.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:54 AM

i switched to a heavier arrow after i had the cat whiskers put on, when i get aroudn to getting a new string i will try the squidees again.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

PAbowhunter,
FYI I'm shooting 65# draw, 418.5 average grain arrows= 6.43 grains per pound.
In your opinion is that too low?
I was under the assumption 6.5 gpp was the magical #er as far as the low end of the spectrum goes. AND that anything over 400 was mo-betta than under.

I'm gonna swing by wally-world on the way home aand see what they have to offer bass-jig wise (no-detectable smell to my nose), but will resort to the cat whiskers if I have to.

One things for sure- I need something on the string, there is a nasty buzz w/out.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:23 AM

I'd like to see the squidees changed into "wagon wheels" to eliminate or reduce to a minimum the catching of the cables by the fingers.