Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string loops

Old 09-01-2004, 11:02 PM

Default string loops

when installing a string loop do yo u have to shorten your draw length on your bow to make up for extra length and do you have to change your anchor point too allways have just clipped on serving
Old 09-02-2004, 03:43 AM

Default RE: string loops

If you go to a short head release such as Tru-Ball Short & Sweet your draw lenght will most likely remain the same.
BD
Old 09-02-2004, 06:13 AM

No, but where your hand anchors to your face will change. If you want to anchor to your face with your hand in the same spot you will have to shorten it what ever length the loop ends up being. Then the relationship to your face and the string will change because the string will be farther forward than it was before because of the loop. Which mean your nose will not touch the string without bending your head forward a little. Also might have to change your peep height as well. Remember your release will be higher than it was before. It used to sit under the arrow, now it will be right behind the arrow. So your bow will most likely shoot a little high as well. It will also change the way the bow sits in your hand since you change the angle of the bow at full draw. It will sit more level than it was before and the grip may feel diffrent than before, less pressure in the heel. Sort of the same thing as changing tiller or moving the nocking point higher, ecxept your nocking point doesn't actually change, just the bow relationship to your anchor point.

You can't just throw on a string loop and have everything be the same. You have to modify your set up or shooting style slightly. Any time you change something on a bow it effects something else. You may also have to retune your bow as well.

Paul
Old 09-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What keeps a string loop from sliding up/down the serving? Is the knot itself tight enough to prevent this? Is there a right and wrong way to install a loop? I've seen some that keep the brass nock point, some that have a brass nock above and below the loop and some with just a loop tied to the string.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: JeramyK

What keeps a string loop from sliding up/down the serving? Is the knot itself tight enough to prevent this? Is there a right and wrong way to install a loop? I've seen some that keep the brass nock point, some that have a brass nock above and below the loop and some with just a loop tied to the string.
If one puts a loop on braded serving, the predicament is, one may not be able to turn the loop up & down the string serving for tuning.

If a loop is tied on tight with tools it will not slip, but may turn on the string, under certain conditions; Just realign it.

The knots some peoples use is 2 half hitches or some times a clove hitch.

If the bow will shoot good without a nock, or whatever some peoples use, shoot it that way. If one uses a nock, the tied on nock can be turned up & down the serving like the loop for tuning & the weight of if will not slow the bow.

For some people the only adjustment needed is the anchor point.

To start, position the loop to hold the arrow at the same elevation as the nock had held it. Then just turn it like a nut, up & down the string serving for tuning.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Your anchor point will change and that is it. I love a loop. I dont think you can go wrong with one. I have used one since they became mainstream. Some will say it is harder to clip your release on while hunting, I have never had that problem. As for the loop sliping, I have never had that problem. I put on two nocks and then tie my loop with two half hitches. What I really like about a loop is that it keeps my peep perfect with every draw, I dont need a tube. I also like how it improves my release. It also keeps your release from wear on my serving.