Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Finally got around to doing... >

Finally got around to doing...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Finally got around to doing...

Old 09-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally got around to doing...

Something I've been threatening to do for a long time-

"Built" a home made target.

I've had a nice sized cardboard box for awhile. I had planned to get a bunch of plastic pallet wrap (the "glad" wrap kind that sticks to itself) from a client of mine, but never got around to it. Opportunity knocked a few days ago when I happened to visit his site on delivery day.

I took care of business, then quickly went to get my box so his guys could fill it for me. Went back to get it, wasn't quite full, they didn't have a clue how tight I planned to compact it, so just loosely filled it. Since I was half way there, I made sure and took it back the next deliver day.

It's now stuffed as full as can be and taped shut with duct tape. I set it in front of my bag target, backed off 10 yards and let fly.

Works perfectly. About 6" of penetration, easy two finger arrow removal. I have no plans to shoot broadheads into it, so no idea how it would work, but guessing it would stop them just fine, removal may prove tedious.

If you are a cheap bas, er, frugal person like me, give this a whirl. When this box is shot up, I'll get a new box and transfer the plastic and start over.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:08 PM

Default RE: Finally got around to doing...

That's a great idea. I've been pretty disapointed in the target industry lately. The 3-d targets are ok but targets like the block seem to be getting some poor feedback and worst of all I've heard some not so plesant stories about the customer service after the fact. This seems like a great way to save $50.00

If you are a cheap bas, er, frugal person like me
I think you hit the nail on the head
Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

I think most of us are all about saving a few bucks. I do remember several guys on here commenting over the years about filling boxes and sacks with plastic bags and having complaints of the plastic melting to the arrow making them sticky and messy. It seems the arrows create so much friction and heat penetrating the target that it melts the plastic. I think it was mainly the carbons. Not sure if the shrink wrap will do the same thing, but whatever works. Targets aren't getting any cheaper to buy.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

I was a step cheaper. I went down to the local lawnmower dealer this spring and got a box full of boxes. He cuts all his boxes up and sticks them into one large box. It works great shooting into it you just need to keep moving the bulls eyes around. I have also had great luck with a burlap bag stuffed with old tarps. Up here in Maine almost every yard has at least one kicking around. I found some old torn ones and packed them into an old seed sack. It works great. It even stops my broad heads(mech).
Old 09-01-2004, 09:25 PM

Those carbon shafts with the camo finish heat up particulary bad and are always hard to remove from targets. Black doesnt heat up as bad.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: slee

I think most of us are all about saving a few bucks. I do remember several guys on here commenting over the years about filling boxes and sacks with plastic bags and having complaints of the plastic melting to the arrow making them sticky and messy. It seems the arrows create so much friction and heat penetrating the target that it melts the plastic. I think it was mainly the carbons. Not sure if the shrink wrap will do the same thing, but whatever works. Targets aren't getting any cheaper to buy.
I went in to this semi-expecting or at least keeping an eye out for exactly what you describe above. I'm happy to report that with the shrink wrap, this is not an issue with my ACCs. No residue at all, easy removal.