Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
 hunting hogs with night vision >

hunting hogs with night vision

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hunting hogs with night vision

Old 04-04-2006, 08:56 PM

Default hunting hogs with night vision

Does anyone have experience hunting with night vision, particularly for hogs?I haven't been able to find much information on the subject. I just picked up a nv scope and am planning to go on a night huntsoon.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: hunting hogs with night vision

I hunt at night for them quite often, but not with night vision. I usually set out in a field they like to root in and listen. When I hear them in the field, I shine a spot light, with a red filter, over them and get them in the halo of the light, not direct beam. As long as you dont put a bright beam on them, they wont run. Aim and shoot. Or if it is a bright night with a good full moon. I do the same thing and take my 300 wby out with a big 55 objective. I can see them pretty well with the large objective and dont need a light when there is a full moon.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do the same thing as Burnie. I have a Marlin .450 with a Ziess Conquest 3x9x50 on it and as long as there is any moonlight at all I can usually see well enough to shoot without a light.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM

I use to, I was hired many years ago to get rid of them from the Doral country Club ,Gulf field in Miami.
Night vision did not exist back then, So I would bait the area under a tree and hang a few night light sticks and that was good enough not to spook them and I could see with my Leupold well enough.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

I use to, I was hired many years ago to get rid of them from the Doral country Club ,Gulf field in Miami.
Night vision did not exist back then, So I would bait the area under a tree and hang a few night light sticks and that was good enough not to spook them and I could see with my Leupold well enough.

Very interesting, never gave that a thought! Thanks Alex!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been toying with the idea of hanging a solar yard light in a tree above a baited spot... I've heard they will come into the light if it is existing before they enter.. The solar light I bought at Home Depot isn't very bright and should work.. I'll give a report as soon as I try it out.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I've been toying with the idea of hanging a solar yard light in a tree above a baited spot... I've heard they will come into the light if it is existing before they enter.. The solar light I bought at Home Depot isn't very bright and should work.. I'll give a report as soon as I try it out.
That sounds like a good idea. My uncle uses something similar. Its called a hog light. Not the kind for your bow or gun, but one you clip ona feeder, or tree that is solar powered with red L.E.D.s. Im not sure how well it works. I have not talked to my uncle since he bought it.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know why that wouldn't work. I know they have come around farm houses and barns with lights. I think if you have a light like that on all the time they would get used to it. Now that would be fun!!! Why don't you get a set up like that Burnie, and call me, and I'll come help you out. We could get Rocky Strickland to skin and clean them for us for a case of Bud.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I don't know why that wouldn't work. I know they have come around farm houses and barns with lights. I think if you have a light like that on all the time they would get used to it. Now that would be fun!!! Why don't you get a set up like that Burnie, and call me, and I'll come help you out. We could get Rocky Strickland to skin and clean them for us for a case of Bud.
Ill have to ask my uncle where he got his light. I know he ordered it from somewhere. We could get Rocky to work over time for two cases of shafer.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:20 AM

I should have the HawgLites for the rifle here shortly. I got one of the prototypes. It slides on any barrel and the momentary switch sticks to the forehand grip. Just like the ones I have for the bow, but the rifle model. It's not nightvision, but you can put the fliters in and use it like a predator light.

Quick Reply: hunting hogs with night vision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.