Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What type of sight do you use?? >

What type of sight do you use??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What type of sight do you use??

Old 08-13-2004, 07:49 AM

Default What type of sight do you use??

I have been looking on Basspro, there are endless types and styles. I was told my Mathews Outback (picking up this afternoon) only needs one pin up to 50 yards. So 1 pin it is!!

what type/style/brand of sight do you like? works best for you?

Thanks again!!

Steve
Old 08-13-2004, 08:54 AM

Default RE: What type of sight do you use??

great choice on the bow. As for sights, like anything else, go with what works best for you. Any single pin sight with good ilumination is a good choice. And, as is true with most things, you get what you pay for.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:56 AM

I use the Cobra Easy Slide. Really like this site. Simple to use, and very bright.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:10 AM

yeah, you get what you pay for. I agree with that. However, what am I getting for the extra $$. Comparing a mid priced Cobra ($40) with the Extreme Sniper 500 ($120) I am not sure what you get for the extra 80? Assuming that both are bright, what is the difference between descent and premium sights?

Thanks

Steve
Old 08-13-2004, 09:14 AM

A Vital Bow Gear Trapper or pro slide might be a good choice. I have a 2 ring trapper and have been very happy. 3' of fiberoptic per pin makes it extremely bright. You'd be looking in the $90.00 range.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

On my old PSE bow, I have Tru-Glo 3 pin sights (20,30,40 yards). Simple to use and adjust.

Butch A.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: stevensondrive

yeah, you get what you pay for. I agree with that. However, what am I getting for the extra $$. Comparing a mid priced Cobra ($40) with the Extreme Sniper 500 ($120) I am not sure what you get for the extra 80? Assuming that both are bright, what is the difference between descent and premium sights?

Thanks

Steve

Quality of construction, ease of adjustment and alum. steel or plastic pins and body.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:41 AM

SD...........your going to have to do a lot of compensating(a lot) to use one fixed pin to 50 yrds .........even if you had an extremely fast bow ......which the Outback is not !!

My Ultra2 shot 303 fps ........I had it set up with a 20 yrd Pin..........I would've had to aim about 2 ft over a deer to drop one in the boiler room !

I have used two sights on my Outback.........an Impact Cosmic 1 pin adjustable sight and a Cobra 3pin Sidewinder ! Both have advantages over one another !!

To answer your question about expensive sights versus cheaper............look hard at their mounting systems , overall quality, adjustment mechanisms, and mainly IME .........how their pins are protected !

My Cobra Sidewinder is nice and medium priced.........it has a nice scale.....tool less adjustments.........very bright .......overall very nice !
It was a little noisy at first ......but I fixed it in a few minutes ! The pins are not protected as well as I would like .................the Impact Hammerhead sight is similar (the pins are protected much better) but it's also more expensive !

The Impact Cosmic is the brightest sight I have ever used.......like the single pin..........very adjustable and can cover just about any range you want to shoot (depending on how it is set up)..........very lightweight......durable .......and quiet ! It is not an easy rest to make pin point adjustments with.......has no scale either (making something difficult.....more difficult)..........and while having two locking adjustments gives a rock solid hold........it also makes it a little slow to adjust (but I wouldn't say that is a major problem ) !!

Good Luck !!
Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever you choose make sure it doesn't have any plastic. It'll last longer and give less troubles along the way. HHA OL 5000 is a very good one. One other thing to consider is that someone is lying through their teeth to you. There is no bow made that can shoot a single fixed pin out to 50 yards. Even with a sight setting of 25 yards you'll see about 3" drop at 30 yards. At 50 yards it'll be about 2' drop.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:56 AM

thanks for the good tips!! This is an excellent site and you guys are GREAT!!
do you think a 3 pin setup would be adequate? 5 seems like overkill

Quick Reply: What type of sight do you use??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.