Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Weighing Arrows - Necessary?? >

Weighing Arrows - Necessary??

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Weighing Arrows - Necessary??

Old 08-12-2004, 04:08 PM

Default Weighing Arrows - Necessary??

OK, I admit I am a little bit anal and number oriented. Still consider myself somewhat a newbie in archery (this will only be my third year). In rifle, I weighed each bullet and powder charge and grouped together. Yes, I still shoot rifles, don't throw me out.

Since I had my digital scale out, I decided to weigh each of my carbon arrows. At this time I am using Blackhawk Vapor 4000. 4" feathers, 26 inch arrows with 100 grain field points. I only have ten left so here are my results.

Four weighed between 356.2 and 357.9.

Six weighed between 351.00 and 354.6.

The ten averaged 354.83. Sooooo, with that I went out and shot them through the chrony. They all averaged between 255 and 256. I guess that get's me between 51 and 52 lb KE. It didn't seem to matter between the 4 heavies and the six light.

If it matters, I am shooting a 03 BowTech Pro 40DC 59lb 27 inch draw using a wb (not the wb2).

I think I will renumber my arrows based on the light and heavy and see how they group based on weight.

Does anyone else weigh each arrow. Or am I doing another kill???
Old 08-12-2004, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Weighing Arrows - Necessary??

Anal is bowhunting and archery brother

Most won't tolerate anything more that +/- 2 grains.Sand, trim...whatever. Make them the same if you can.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Weighing Arrows - Necessary??

Are these hunting arrows and what distance do you plan on shooting? Frankly your measurements for a complete arrow aren't that bad. I mean, you do handload so you know what 1 grain is. Your arrows vary by what?--4 grains or so? I have weighed vanes from one maufacturer that varied by that much or slightly more. Now you might want to snad and trim or whatever if you are planning on shooting target or field out to 80-100 yards, but if you're going to hunt with them then don't get too techy. Shoot em and have fun.
Numbering arrows is a good practice, too. You never know when you get a bad apple. OK, now we're on a more important issue. How much does the spine vary between these arrows? Clue--------if you don't have a spine-tester then you won't know. And this is much more important than a couple of grains in weight.
Again, shoot em and have fun.