Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What broadheads have you had problems with >

What broadheads have you had problems with

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What broadheads have you had problems with

Old 03-07-2003, 03:53 PM

Default What broadheads have you had problems with

I have noticed alot of questions on what broadheads to buy. mostly a personal preference. But a very important one. I would like to know how many people have had a broadhead fail and what happened. I have had the older gold tip mechanicals fail on rabbits and have had the cabela' s replaceable i believe it was called the mag 100 fail on antelope. The collar broke and lost one blade too me this is more important to get out and let people know. This is what makes all the difference on quick kills.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:38 PM

Default RE: What broadheads have you had problems with

I am sure it was a freak event because the head that failed on me has a great reputation as maybe the toughest head out there and thousands of hunters use them every day..........

Having said all that........last year I had a Muzzy 90 grain 4 blade get messed up bad by a small rotten tree root about 4 inches under ground. I dug up the whole area to be sure I wasn' t missing a rock somewhere but found nothing. The heads also produced random flyers that I could not eliminate no matter what I or about half a dozen other guys tried.

Hopefully I got a bad package of heads.......I think Muzzy heads are probably one of the best out there and I will try them again this year to see what happens. Whatever was the reason it failed doesn' t really change the fact that it did fail. Heck even the best ammo misfires now and then I guess.

For peace of mind I immediately switched off the Muzzy heads and put WASP Jak HAMMERS on and my signature shows that they did NOT fail on me.

THIS IS NOT A MUZZY BLASTING POST NOR DO I CARE TO GET IN A LONG DISCUSSION ABOUT MY BOW NOT BEING TUNED AS THE REAL CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM. SAVE YOUR BREATH........I HAVE HEARD IT ALL BEFORE.

He asked..........I answered.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cabela' s Super Lazer Pro Mags suck in my opinion. I had nothing but problems with those heads. I' ve seen those gold tip gladiator mechanicals fall apart as well. There' s a reason they are inexpensive.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:05 PM

Yeah that probably was a bad pack of muzzy' s i have heard good things from people who use them. And i also was not trying to start a blasting post just wondered what others have had trouble with. I am sure in the wrong circumstance that all broadheads will fail. But like the one post that atlas said he did investigate and could find no reasonable explaination for the failure. To me this is worth more than the one twenty yard recovery somebody gets and then swears by that broadhead forever. I also am waiting for some bad press on the thunderheads wich i have had no problems with actually have had them stay together when i did not expect them too.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve had problems with several different models of Satelite broadheads. None were very sturdy at all. Never even got to hunt with any. They broke or bent during practice, shooting into styrofoam blocks.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur P stole my thunder! I have tested a fair number of heads, and to be honest most have been at least acceptable in preformance. The few exceptions have all been Satellite head, with models ranging from the sat mag' s to the titains and the " dead ringer" mechanical. All have been down right bad. Another head to stay away from is the Pucketts blood trailers. The New archery products " new" Razorback was also junk, or at least last years model. I understand this year they have improved the head. Rockets Ultimate steel was also unaceptable, it lost blades very easy is targets ranging from soft foam to steel drums. I am sure their are a couple more but these are the heads that first come to mind. Companies like Magnus, Muzzy and Rocky mtn have all made heads that ranged from good to excellent in my tests and none of these companies has so far put out a Lemon.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Don' t worry about it 5Shot...He stole my thunder too.

My 1st year bow hunting I shot a small buck with a Sat. Mag-100(was inexperienced and didn' t know what to look for in a good head). The deer was dead inside of 75yrds but only because I put the arrow in perfect. The head lost every blade inside that deer.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:25 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

My brother and I both had some trouble with Rocky Mountain Ironheads. We took them to Africa and they came apart in every animal we shot. Weather we got passthroughs or not the blades came out on every animal. They did their job and all or our animals were recovered, we had good blood trails and big holes but no blades.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt you will find any heads that will pass the rock test
Old 03-08-2003, 01:36 PM

I had trouble with the Muzzy 4 blade 90 grain heads. Not in taking a deer but I have trouble getting them to fly well. It is probably because I shoot a higher speed and the 4 blades plane more then three blades. Other then that Muzzy 3 blade 100 fly great and I have taken many deer with them..

Quick Reply: What broadheads have you had problems with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.