Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 new string problems >

new string problems

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

new string problems

Old 06-28-2004, 08:26 PM

Default new string problems

hey, everyone, i have a problem and i'm hoping someone might be able to help me. i just replaced the string on my bow. let me try to describe what's happening...i'm having string rub where the string (winner's choice btw) loops around the "hook" (for lack of a better term) on the cams (cam.5) when the cam rotates during the draw and the said loop part of the string passes between the split limbs. has anyone ever had this happen? is there a fix? should i just ignore the problem and shoot anyway? it really makes me uncomfortable knowing i have contact between the string and the limb as i'm sure this will cause premature wear on my string. thanks for any replies!
Old 06-29-2004, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new string problems

Are you saying that the end loop of the string (where it terminates on the cam) is rubbing the inside of the limb?

If so you have issues. I had this problem on my RazorX Tru-Arc with WC strings because the string end loops are wide. But the Hoyts have much more space between limb and cam.

I would take the bow to a qualified Hoyt dealer. You may have a twisted limb, missing/incorrect spacer, or even a twisted riser.

I have had WC on several C.5 bows with no issues of that sort.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:32 AM

yeah, jeff, that's exactly what i'm saying. during the draw there is contact. i'm shooting a reflex (if you want to get technical.) everything on the bow looks okay to me. it just really looks like the string end loops are really wide and big around. (please refrain from the "that's what she said" jokes. ) anyway, of course i didn't have this problem with the factory string as the end loops were MUCH smaller and more narrow. (again, no jokes. ) do you think it could just plain be an issue of the number of strands in the wc string as opposed to the factory string?
Old 06-29-2004, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I remember the ZR limbs on the Reflex bows use the same width spacers and have the same general "space" between cam & limb.

Was the string ordered for a Cam and half bow, or was it just a "generic" Winners Choice string in the appropiate length sitting on a dealer shelf?

For certain bow models/companies they do build appopriate loop sizes just to combat these and other problems associated with with incorrect loop size.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:56 AM

hmmm, i believe you are on to something...i ordered the string through a local pro shop. i would ASSUME that he would have ordered it specifically for a cam.5. i guess i'm going to have to check that with the pro shop.

thanks!
Old 06-30-2004, 07:27 AM

I have seen this occurring on several hoyt bows with cam 1/2, even with stock strings. The end loop touches (barely) the inside of the limb on the draw, even with the cams aligned perfectly and no lean or limb twist. It passes quite close and the only thing to do is uses extremely small end loop serving or not serve the end loops. Usually the rub is barely touching and will not affect the shooting of the bow and will bot damage the end loop serving to any real extent.