Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 shooting/sighting in new bow) >

shooting/sighting in new bow)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting/sighting in new bow)

Old 06-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shooting/sighting in new bow)

well, I am finally ready to shhot the new bow (got my arrows the other day. just wanted to get some opinions on how to go about getting it sighted in. (I shot the bow 2x when i first got it and didn't hit the target at 20 yds - did manage to bounce one off the ground, off a tree and into a tre about 40 yards down range!)
my idea is to take 2 pins out (5 pins total) and use only 3 (15 yd, 20 yd, 30 yd ??)
then take the middle pin and shoot at 8 yards (spose to be the same as 20 yds)
then adjust from there
this sound right? how do I dial in the 30 yard pin??

thanks in advance

(also posted on bowhunting board)
Old 06-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shooting/sighting in new bow)

I would recommend getting closer to the target for starters. 10 yards maybe. Then take your bottom two pins and move them all the way down to the bottom of the pin guard. Then, nock an arrow and see if your pin is relatively close with the line of the arrow/string. If it isn't then adjusted it left/right until it is. At least with that you will be relatively close horizontally. If you are off much vertically then at 10 yards you should still hit the target.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:08 PM

I don't understand why you want a 15 and a 20 yard pin? When you shoot your 20 yard pin at 15 yards you should be hitting a little high, so why not just aim a little low at 15 yards? When I started out I was dead set on having a 10 yard pin and a 20 yard pin, no one was going to convince me otherwise. Since then I've realized that there isn't that big of a difference when shooting at 10 and 20 yards. I just aim a little low at 10 yards. I'm assuming it would be the same for 15.

As PA said I would stand at about 10 yards when you first start out and go from there. Once you have it hitting good at 10 yards, step back to 20 and set that pin for 20 yards. After you get that pin hitting at 20 yards step back to 30 and adjust the next pin until you have it hitting good. Since we've ruled out the 15 yard pin (If you go with what I said earlier) you should add a 40 yard pin if you feel comfortable shooting at that distance. Do the same thing you did with your 20 and 30 yard pins. Now that you've got those pins set, step back up to 10 yards and figure out just how low you're going to have to aim with your 20 yard pin in order to hit your target. It shouldn't be much, 2" - 3" at the most.

This is just what I did and it's been working well for me, good luck with everything and keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

you want 20, 30 and 40 yard pins.
no need fot a 15 and 20 yard pin because they will be too close together.

shooting from 10 yards with your 20 yard pin will shoot about 2 inches high so at 10 yards just aim 2" under where you intend to hit the target.