Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Sighting in / Target shooting on private property >

Sighting in / Target shooting on private property

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sighting in / Target shooting on private property

Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Spike

Default Sighting in / Target shooting on private property

I am a land owner in New York state. I hunt during the regular gun season and small game (Turkey) in the spring.
My question is, are there any laws regulating target shooting on one's own land (outside hunting season of course). I know that you can not discharge a firearm within a certain distance from a dwelling, but this is not a concern on my property. It is vacant wooded land.
We camp there during the summer months and would like to set up some targets to plink away at, I just want to make sure it is legal.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sighting in / Target shooting on private property

I do not know about NY state, but I had a similar question when I took my hunter ed here in MA. The answer was given by a Mass Wild Life officer. His answer was that it is legal to do it but it is a bad idea. Some people (police, antis, etc.) might think we could be hunting if we are in the woods with a firearm.

Now I have shot on private property in Maine in an area that is sufficiently remote (and private) so I know it is not a problem. I also shoot air rifles in my backyard (out of sight from any neighbour).

I guess it depends how private and remote your property is?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 PM

I've a 200 yard range and a shooting shack with a home, yard, and deer woods put allaround it.....in Rural NY.

Gunfire here is the norm and my neighbors would come looking to see if something was wrong if they DIDN'T hear any.....................
Old 10-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Wilds

I've a 200 yard range and a shooting shack with a home, yard, and deer woods put allaround it.....in Rural NY.

Gunfire here is the norm and my neighbors would come looking to see if something was wrong if they DIDN'T hear any.....................
Lucky man!
Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you own the land and your bullets are not flying onto someone elses land you have every right to shoot as much as you want. Whether it's hunting season or not does not matter. I have heard people target shooting in the middle of the regular deer season. No one can tell you not to, if it is YOUR land.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Nobody disputes you can practice on your land. What you have to keep in mind is what would be the reaction of your neighbours. I belong to a couple of gun clubs in MA and sometimes we see the police pay us a visit because someone heard gun shots. When the cops show up they chat with us few minutes and wish they could be with us on the range shooting our fancy rifles! They leave and that the end of the story.