Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 MORE PROBLEMS paper tuning >

MORE PROBLEMS paper tuning

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MORE PROBLEMS paper tuning

Old 06-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Spike

Default MORE PROBLEMS paper tuning

Well i tried to let off the poundage of my bow (Jaguar magnum, 28 1/2 inch arrows shooting Easton Carbon evolution 400's with a release and a single cam)

I think the bow was cranked all the way up...tag on bow says peak weight of 70lbs.

ALL I GOT was a tail high tear of about 1/4inch and a tiny bit to the right. What concerns me is that i had to turn down the poundage by going 4 and 1/2 full turns (isn't it 3lbs per turn) ...Is there something else wrong that i am missing because i seem to have lost a lot of poundage and the problem is not 100pct fixed or am i just being a perfectionist.

I rechecked the ncok with a square and it is just about at 1/4 inch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: MORE PROBLEMS paper tuning

I remember your earlier thread but not many of the suggestions so bear with me if I repeat some of them.

1. First off, you said your bow is listed at a 70 lb peak draw weight. That does not necessarily mean that it peaks right at 70 lbs when the limbs are cranked all the way down. It might actually peak several pounds above that which would explain why it took 4.5 turns to get it down to 60 lbs.

2. As far as turning out the limb bolts.....you had better check with your Martin owner's manual as well as their website because some companies recommend that you only back the limbs out "so many" turns. Turning them out more than a given number of turns can lead to the limb bolt coming out of the riser. It "sounds" like you are ok but I would suggest that you check none the less.

3. As for your paper tuning problem, what distance are you tuning at? 6 feet? 9 feet? 12 feet? I would suggest tuning at different distances to see what your arrow flight looks like. In some cases it may take a specific distance before your arrow stabilizes coming out of the bow. If you are only experiencing a very slight tear at a 6 foot distance and yet you are grouping well then I, personally, would not be concerned...but then again I am not the perfectionist I once was.

4. I remember you mentioning that you adjusted nock height before but have you adjusted spring tension ?(assuming it is a prong type rest and not a drop away or whisker biscuit). If you are still 1/4 of an inch above level then I would suggest continuing to adjust the nock height to see if you can eliminate the vertical tear. After you do that then I would suggest attempting to correct the horizontal tear issue.

Hope this helps some.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't remember if you mentioned being right, or left handed. Some people recommend a slight high left tear for a RH shooter. It seems that reducing draw weight has lessened the tear, so I'd say you're arrows are too weak.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:46 AM

I'd continue to adjust the nock height.

Also, I have a Martin Jaguar Magnum 30 inch draw. It's set at at about 65#. I checked my nock last night and I am almost level.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you are getting a tail high tear you need to bring the nock point level.