Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 nocks tight on serving >

nocks tight on serving

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

nocks tight on serving

Old 05-21-2004, 09:33 AM

Default nocks tight on serving

Maybe its just me I don't know. My last bow, I had for 10 years, a PSE Polaris Express, and it had a thinner monofiliment type serving and the Easton arrow/nocks fit on no probs.

My current predator has a braided type on factory string, and am using Carbon express terminators. I cannot get the nock off of the string without really prying the sides open, and usually it comes out of the arrow. I'm not sure its safe or wise to shoot any longer, I hadn't noticed. Are there special nocks I should be using? One of my arrows is cracked around where the nock goes in.

I will be switching arrows and wonder if its a problem across the board, specific to these arrows, or what.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: nocks tight on serving

Personally, I don't like mono. I would see if you proshop could reserve it with a smaller diameter braided nylon.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:01 AM

I wasn't a fan of the mono either, it came loose alot.

I wish I had an old arrow to see it its the nocks or large serving.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can have your center serving redone with smaller diamiter material , thats what I would do , its an easy fix and tight nocks are going to be hell on accuracy , especialy when shooting broadheads .
Old 05-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the others said, get it reserved. I'm not an expert but most strings come served with .026 braided fastflight serving or it's equivelent. They do make it as small as .018 to my knowledge. It should really make a difference.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:37 PM

I have a feeling thats whats going to happen.

I emailed pearson and asked what serving/strings they used on my bow just to know.

I examined the nocks, when putting them on, they don't necessarily bend outward, more like they are locked in when pulling them off. They have barb/ridge looking things on the inside, one on each side. Kind of like this
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...424&hasJS=true

I am thinking its in the design also. My old gamegetter II easton aluminums were not like this, alot looser.

Oh well
Old 05-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of pepole on this forun have shot terminators , myself included , I had no trouble with nock fit , this is the first Ive herd of it . Try some eastons and see if they do the same thing , I'll bet they do .
Old 05-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot for Pearson last four years. They are using Brownell UltraCam the last two years. I don't know who is making their string, but I haven't had any problem with them They are always a hair tight when new but break in pretty well. Never had them so tight that I physically had to pull them off the string. I'm an old target buff and learned a long time ago that you should be able to hang the bow horizontal and tap the string a good one and the arrow falls off. And I don't think Carbon Express nocks are much different for fit than most others--at least not that tight. I'd just reserve it and be done with it.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:09 PM

My 2003 Bowtechs had the same problem with Easton super nocks, the current method string makers are using is to lay the serving material full lenght under the serving and then serve over it which builds the string up a litlle causing a tight fit. On my two bows you could hang the weight of the bow and then some from the nock without it disconnecting. I would reserve using BCY #62 or 62XS in the .018 size if using a loop or .019 BCY Halo if using fingers.
Good Luck
BD