Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 feathers or vains >

feathers or vains

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

feathers or vains

Old 05-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default feathers or vains

i was wondring the wich is better wich is more durable ect
Old 05-06-2004, 07:08 PM

Default RE: feathers or vains

What would you use them for?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

hunting and 3d target shooting with carbons and a 55# bow
Old 05-06-2004, 07:24 PM

I posted the question. Here are some answers.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...=vanes&#602817
Old 05-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer feathers from an accuracy, stability and tuning standpoint. However I do use vanes sometimes in particular setups trying to make a certain arrow weight, spine, or FOC. But I don't like them

I find the most common used vanes(Duravanes, AAE) are not very durable at all. One little tear or rip (and they rip pretty easy), and it's time to re-fletch. A feather with even a pretty sizeable chunk out of it will still shoot well (at least field points and mechs). If you are going to go with vanes I would recommend FLex-Fletch or Mullen Marco vanes for best durability..and Bohning vanes are fairly durable as well.

With proper waterproofing Feathers work well in most weather conditions.

Another con to feathers is time needed to fletch them. But I have a Jo-Jan multi fletcher for that and it will do a feather on 6 different shafts at a time, so I can have a 1/2 doz arrows done in an hour. No biggie.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff is pretty much right on with his comments though I personally prefer vanes. There is less fuss to install them. They are more durable provided you aren't shooting up your fletchings during practice and you do not have to do anything to them for bad weather situations.

Feathers are more forgiving of rest contact, etc... and are generally lighter which promotes slightly better arrow speed. Some of them are noisy in flight though.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer vanes just for their simplicity. I refletch quite a bit because I've found they do tear easily and the slightest tears usually lead to a flyer. Vanes are typically a lot cheaper as well.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:21 AM

I use feathers just for their forgiving properties, steering ability, and weight. I still use vanes in some cases, But I still overall prefer feathers. I know they can get beat up in the bush, But a buddy of mine made me a cloth waterproof cover to put over them so they don't get beat up. In fact when they are beat up they will still fly well in most cases, unlike vanes which will go all over the place if there is a nick taken out of them. IMHO the benefits of feathers well outweighs the extra cost and compared to vanes.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Feathers , no question . I read about the new quickspin vane from nap and thought I'd give um a try . The first shot I had slight contact and a rippeled vane , I keep trying to get that perfect clearance and kept getting contact and buggered up vanes . It only takes slight contact to ruin a vane . Went back to feathers and , no looking back . They are much more forgiving . I was getting contact with a fallaway allso , so thats not my answer .
Old 05-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot vanes last year and this year I'm going back to my feathers for all the reasons stated above. It seemed I was re-fletching every week with vanes....feathers I can shoot A LOT more between refletching.

Quick Reply: feathers or vains

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.