Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 feathers or vains >

feathers or vains

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

feathers or vains

Old 05-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: feathers or vains

If vanes are so bad for accuracy,then why do all pros use them in competition?Of course some do use feathers indoors at 20 yards but not outdoors with distance.

The tounge-in-cheek retort was close to accurate but I will add that most pros are using vanes under 2" in length so contact is much less of an issue.

Of course pros are not trying to steer broadheads or penetrate an animal.

I prefer vanes for an archery setup because of the repeatability in a dozen shafts.It is much easier to get all arrows to shoot the same with vanes because all vanes are exact and you can't say that about feathers.Vanes also will usually give a lower profile that will give less wind drift at distances.

I use feathers now for hunting because of the forgiveness and added foc.I also like the way they look.[:-]Also when putting them on helical with a helical clamp,I have found that Arthur was dead on when he stated that noisy feathers is most likely because they are not put on with helical clamps.I have found them to be as quiet,if not more quiet than vanes and they ARE quieter than AAE or Duravanes.

They both work and work well when setup properly.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:35 PM

No doubt, plastic vanes perform well for some under certain conditions, and time and performance has proven that plastic vanes do have a place in archery. However, for the average shooter, I would bet that some that use plastic vanes and have flight and accuracy problems, do not realize the the source of the problem might be the plastic vanes.

http://www.archeryexchange.com/infor...%20Vanes.shtml
Old 05-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I may be lucky, but I've never had an issue with vanes and accuracy. I will say that you need to keep them in tip top shape though. I find myself more often than not repairing vanes, especially when I'm shooting daily since weather is nice. I keep things as simple as possible in a hunting rig. To me, worrying about weather and buggered up feathers is too much hassle for me.

To me Feathers are for turkeys.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:11 AM

I think vanes are perfectly adequate for field tips or mechanicals (which I don't shoot). However, when shooting fixed blade broadheads, feathers give better performance. F.O.C. is improved, and rear-end drag is increased. These are preferable things, when shooting fixed blade broadheads. In general, I shoot vanes until about a month before bow season. I then switch to my hunting arrows with feathers.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

PABOWHUNTER , I have a genteler comeback , I need all the bandaids I can get .
...very well said.

i think im going to get feathers i have a snitty set up
...that one had me laughing too..

quote:

"Feathers are only a band aid for a bow that is improperly tuned or for an arrow with improper insert/shaft/nock alignment."

That statement is so far out in left field, it is not even in the ballpark.

In fact, in part it is just the opposite. For some shaft setups that are best for hunting purposes (weight and broadhead), especially when pushed hard down range, feathers may be necessary to impart accuracy and good flight, and using a plastic vane would be detrimental.
My comment was said entirely in jest. You have to understand that I so often see comments similar to what I made but in regard to mechanical heads, drop-away rests, single cam bows, etc... and those simply are not really true either in most cases.

A case can be made for either style of fletching. The key is to understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each and then applying the appropriate choice to your setup.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Frank, perhaps if you weren't such a self-centered, selfish, and inconsiderate vane user, you could come down off of your plastic high horse and mingle with us feather people! Not only that, but your tendency to employ such cheap substitutes on your arrow makes me ill![:@]

I don't know Frank, I may have to sell the condo and move to Kutztown............this town aint big enough for a feather AND a vane user............*humph*........[&o]

Sorry.........I'm bored and just couldn't pass it up.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Frank, perhaps if you weren't such a self-centered, selfish, and inconsiderate vane user, you could come down off of your plastic high horse and mingle with us feather people! Not only that, but your tendency to employ such cheap substitutes on your arrow makes me ill!
With an attitude like that I am guessing that you are a feather user....

[:'(][:-]