Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

is it me

Old 03-25-2004, 06:59 PM

Default is it me

at 10 yds im dead on, 20 about 1 inch high. shouldnt i be same or maybe a little low at 20. what is the deal? thanks for all im shooting about 260-270 fps.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:17 PM

Default RE: is it me

you can't be dead on with the same pin at 10 and 20. i bet if you shoot at 25 you will be dead on again. your sighted in probably at 25?.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:22 PM

At 10 I hit about 4" above center. At 20 I'm dead on. I just aim 4" low at 10. I'd sight my bow in again if I were you. Start a 20 and sight it in. Then move up to 10 and shoot, you should be hitting a little higher than center. Just remember to aim low at 10.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this is a trick question, but here's my answer. I sight my bow in at 20 yards. 10 yards will naturally be a tad high, but not enough that I change my aim. At 25 yards I might be hitting 2" or 3" low. I gap this with a 20 and 30 yards pin.
For hunting I use one pin set for 25 yards. Dead on at 5 and 25. 20 yards is 1 1/2" high. 30 yards is 3" low. Hold the middle of the chest out to 30 yards and shoot..
Spot shooting? Get an adjustable sight if you're worried about an inch.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:52 PM

The reason you are hitting high at 10 yards has to do with parallax. Your peep and sight are probably at least 3.5 inches above your arrow. So the closer you are to the target the more parallax effect you will get. For instance from 10 feet you will probably need to use your 40 yard pin.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your eye is looking at the target on a straight line. The arrow is below your eye. So, you have to aim the arrow UP in order for it to hit where you're looking. The further the arrow is below your eye, the more of an upward angle your arrow has to be launched.

Apparently you have a low anchor, maybe below your jaw. So the setting for your 10 yard pin (I've never seen the point in having a 10 yard pin, by the way) puts the arrow in the target while it's still on the upslope of your trajectory. At 20 yards, you trajectory is probably at about it's peak. Somewhere beyond 20, the arrow will start the downslope of your trajectory and hit dead on, probably somewhere around 25-27 yards. You can find out where it comes back on the dot by trial and error, shooting a couple of arrows each at 2 yard increments beyond 20.

Not a bad sight setup for a hunting bow as long as your bow has enough sight window to let you see the pin.

Anyway, that's the effect of sight parallax, the thing oaktree is talking about.